corner corner The Falcon's Malteser (Diamond Brother Mysteries)

The Falcon's Malteser (Diamond Brother Mysteries)
by Anthony Horowitz | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/7/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, November 07, 2017

I got this fair-condition softcover at a local thrift shop. From the title I assumed it was a parody of The Maltese Falcon, and to some degree it is - it uses many of the same plot-points, and similar characters - but it's more noir than funny. The premise is that an ex-cop named Herbert Simple has set up a detective agency and now calls himself Tim Diamond - but it's his 13-year-old brother Nick who's the brains behind the operation. Again, this seems as if it would lead to a wacky-hijinx type of story, but... not so much. Since I couldn't get into this one I'll pass it along unread, and hope someone else enjoys it.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series, with some entertaining tidbits. And the book inspired a 1988 film, Diamond's Edge.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Post Office bookswap shelf (UBCZ), 353 Middlesex Rd. in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, February 08, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (2/8/2018 UTC) at Post Office bookswap shelf (UBCZ), 353 Middlesex Rd. in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA

I left this book on the book-swap shelf in the Tyngsboro post office lobby; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Great Backyard Bird Count release challenge. See this year's GBBC here. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Asian Zodiac Year of the Dog release challenge, for the embedded dog breed "Maltese" in the title. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Movie release challenge. ***