The Girls of Mischief Bay

by Susan Mallery | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingpenelopewanderswing of Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on 11/7/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, November 07, 2017
The first in a series for which I already have the second - mooched from the USA.

Journal Entry 2 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, October 11, 2019
To a certain extent this is chicklit, but it's not really romance. There is romance involved, but it isn't the core element of the book. This is more a coming of age - not of adolescents, but adults -the over-ripening of long term relationships, the coming to terms with the stories we tell ourselves we want, and coming to understand sometimes it's the story we want, not the real thing. Facing age, and then facing the alternative, and seeing how a relationship can also be two people moving swiftly in opposite directions without noticing.
I often think of Mallery's books as a quick pick-me-up, often funny, light and feel-goodish. In the preface the author announces plans to create a place (Mischief Bay) and carry this series on for a good long while. Without mentioning Fool's Gold, it seems it could be that. So far I only see four books in the series, (the fourth being shared with the Blackberry Island series). Fool's Gold did start to include far more serious themes than at the outset, and here the tone is quite sobering. Without wanting to create a spoiler, tears were shed. This reminded me a bit more of Kristin Hannah's stories, in terms of mood.
An interesting read.