Tideland

by Mitch Cullin | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 080231340X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/6/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 06, 2017
I got this softcover at the Book Cellar. It inspired a 2005 film directed by Terry Gilliam.

Later: Having read the book, I'm amazed that it inspired a film by anybody but Alfred Hitchcock {wry grin}; it's a bizarre and often-gruesome tale of a lonely, imaginative child who finds herself alone after the sudden death of her father - and whose actions regarding the body make up some highly disturbing portions of the narrative. At first I was intrigued by the references to bog bodies - her father told her of those uncannily-preserved remains, and the imagery haunted her - but as the story wound on, and young Jeliza-Rose discovered just what her neighbor was up to, the story got VERY dark indeed. Fond as I am of horror stories, this one, child-centered and tragic, was just... disturbing, and not in an enjoyable way. (I should probably add that I never cared for dolls, so the whole bit about her interactions with her fragmentary dolls put me off even more than the fun-with-corpses bits.)

[There's a TV Tropes page on the film, with some references to the novel.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Emerald Dr in Dracut, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, March 18, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (3/18/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Emerald Dr in Dracut, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the snowbound Little Free Library on this bright, chilly day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Four Elements Release Challenge. ***