The Nose

by Nikolai Gogol | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingDelphi_Readerwing of Delphi - Δελφοί , Fokida Greece on 10/21/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingDelphi_Readerwing from Delphi - Δελφοί , Fokida Greece on Saturday, October 21, 2017
This book starts its journey with BookCrossing from Delphi, Greece
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two nice short stories by Nikolai Gogol:
"The Nose" and "The Calash(Carriage)".

With this pair of absurd, comic stories Gogol indulges his imagination and delights readers

"'Strangely enough, I mistook it for a gentleman at first. Fortunately I had my spectacles with me so I could see it was really a nose..."

~~~~~~To the person who found this book:~~~~~~

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. Drop a few lines on where and how you found this book and what you thought of it. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, I encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.

This book is now yours, and you can keep it if you choose, although I would love you to read and then share it. You can pass it on someone you know or release it once again in the wild, leaving it on a park bench, a phone booth, a hostel lobby...wherever you think it's suitable for the book to continue it's journey. If you pass it along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Delphi - Δελφοί , Fokida Greece on Monday, October 23, 2017
Some spoilers follow, so skip this journal entry if you prefer to keep the plot a surprise.

This little book contains two short stories: "The Nose" and "The Calash".

The Nose is a weird story of a conceited, ambitious man who wakes up one morning and realizes his nose is missing. The story opens with the nose been found in a loaf of bread in the main character's barber's breakfast (!)Then it continues with the nose been seen around town in the form of a respectable official snooting down on his previous owner. The nose-less hero tries to shake the press and police by his social status and seek their help to obtain back his nose. Later the nose is arrested and returned to our hero but doesn't stick back in its rightful place till it decides to do so itself. Or so it seems...

The Calash=The Carriage takes place in a small sleepy rural place, revived somehow when a cavalry regiment chose it as its base. The local authorities and elite find entertainment and a new interest on social life by trying to mingle with the army authorities. On a local gathering, one of the regional public figures brags about his calash and invites people to his own place next day. Unfortunately he has a long night with lots of drink and he informs no one back home about the invitation. Next day he is awaked by his wife who saw the local upper class and officials approaching and they decide to hide rather than to see people in unprepared. The visitors are informed by the servants that the couple is away, but they decide to have a look on the calash anyway. And there they found the main character hiding.

Now, I think Nikolai Gogol tries mostly to satirize the elite or elite wanna-bes of his time and both stories are fine reads to pass some time. But I find "The Calash" rather plain and "The Nose" rather very weird with many pieces missing and possibly something lost in translation. Very absurd novella.

As I said, a fine book to pass some time, but nothing extraordinary.

Journal Entry 3 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Released 5 yrs ago (6/7/2018 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

The Nose got itchy feet and run away towards The Netherlands! And who knows where next...

Good Luck!

Thank you for helping me celebrate my two years in BookCrossing! This little book is a quick read and might suit you while on commute or similar... Do let me know what you make out of it, it's an odd story for sure : )

Journal Entry 4 by BookishPanda at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, June 18, 2018
I received this book today from Delphi_Reader along with 5 other books, a note book, 2 BC pens and 2 BC bags! Thank you very much for all these presents.

Cute little book and to my surprise it actually contains two stories. The nose sounds like a humorous story. I'm curious what I'll think about these odd stories.

Journal Entry 5 by BookishPanda at - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (8/24/2022 UTC) at - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands

Gegeven aan een andere bookcrosser

Journal Entry 6 by Japie88 at - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 24, 2022
I am very curious about the book. Seems like a good way to improve my English language.

Journal Entry 7 by Japie88 at -- Somewhere in Paphos in Paphos, Paphos Cyprus on Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Released 4 mos ago (10/4/2023 UTC) at -- Somewhere in Paphos in Paphos, Paphos Cyprus

It is a strange little book, take it with you and leave a message. Thanks