A WORLD OF CRIME (UK Bookbox)

by Plum-crazy | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 10/17/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 17, 2017
This is for crime novels primarily by foreign authors & set anywhere in the world EXCEPT Great Britain or USA.

However, British or American authors will be acceptable providing the setting AND lead character are both foreign.
For example;
Alexander McCall Smith's (British) "No 1 Ladies Detective Agency" would be acceptable as it's set in Botswana with a Botswanian "detective".

Otherwise my usual "rules" apply:

1. There must be a minimum of 5 books in it. You can take out up to 4 books but you MUST send on one for each one you remove.. Feel free to add extra as long as....

2....the package weighs under 2KG. This is is just to keep costs down. (Postage is currently at £2.90 second class for up to 2KG)

3 Please journal the date the bookbox is received (BCID will be in the box - please leave for next person!) & sent on & of course, journal any books you remove.

4 As a courtesy to other readers please only put in books that are in a decent condition.

5 Only one book by an author allowed in the box at a time.....& please try & mix the countries......& don't forget, NO GB or USA!

Posting order:

Flutterbies9
Cross-patch
fleurdelys
raeliz64

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, November 12, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (11/13/2017 UTC) at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Setting off on it's travels starting with Rainbow3

The box has started with:

"The Silence of the Sea" - Yrsa Sigurdardottir (ICELAND)
"Auntie Poldi & the Sicilian Lions" - Mario Giordano (SICILY)
"Snow White Must Die" - Nele Neuhaus (GERMANY)
"An Event in Autumn" _ Henning Mankell (SWEDEN)
"Killman" - G W Kent (THE SOLOMON ISLANDS)
" The Murdered Banker" - Augusto de Angelis (ITALY)
& "The Fig Tree Murder" - Michael Pearce (EGYPT)

Journal Entry 3 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, November 26, 2017
BOX ARRIVED - THURSDAY 16TH NOVEMBER 2017

Apologies for the delayed Journal Entry, the ‘WORLD OF CRIME BOOK BOX!’ arrived on last Thursday. I opened the box squeaked with delight and was attempting to make a ‘caught’ JE when my unfortunately electrics went both taking my modem to the grave and cutting me off from the internet!

. . . big pause as I worked out what to do next about that. In addition, I’ve never Book Boxed in all these years of BX'ing!

OK Once I’ve posted this JE here I’ll go PM brunton11 for their address.

PS added I totally forgot to mention that I think this is a superb selection of books – many thanks Plum-crazy!

Journal Entry 4 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (12/6/2017 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Plum-crazy’s WORLD OF CRIME BOOK BOX! is – as of today - in the post to brunton11

I’ve read and made journal entries on these three books:
"Killman" - G W Kent (THE SOLOMON ISLANDS)
"Snow White Must Die" - Nele Neuhaus (GERMANY)
"The Fig Tree Murder" - Michael Pearce (EGYPT)

And I have taken out these two books to read later:
"Auntie Poldi & the Sicilian Lions" - Mario Giordano (SICILY)
"The Silence of the Sea" - Yrsa Sigurdardottir (ICELAND)

These are the two books I added:
The Coroner's Lunch – Colin Cotterill (LAOS)
Burial Rites – Hannah Kent (ICELAND)

What fun many thanks Plum-crazy for inclusion in the World of Crime Book-Box adventure and thanks for organising said FUN!!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbrunton11wing at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 08, 2017
Arrived safely today. Looking forward to making my selections!

Journal Entry 6 by wingbrunton11wing at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
I agree with rainbow3 - What a great book box!

I've taken out 'The Coroner's Lunch' and 'Burial Rites' and replaced them with 'A Florentine Death' (ITALY) and 'The Mystery of the Blue Train' (a cheeky BELGIUM/FRANCE :) )

I also took the opportunity to read 'The Murdered Banker' and 'An Event in Autumn' whilst waiting for kinedi's address.

Posted: 12/12

Journal Entry 7 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, December 14, 2017
Arrived with me in Co. Durham now and totally agree - fantastic choice of books !! Will make my choice and then post on but it *might* be after Xmas as not sure if I can face the postoffice in the days before Xmas again !

Update 18/12/17

I have taken 3 out and put 3 new ones in :

Deep Waters - Barbara Nadel (Istanbul)
Murder on the Leviathan - Boris Akunin (Russian spy in France)
Bangkok Eight - John Burdett (Bangkok)

Journal Entry 8 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, December 31, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (12/30/2017 UTC) at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom

On its way again, sorry for the delay but snow only just cleared to let me out of our non gritted culdesac ! Happy new year and happy reading

Journal Entry 9 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, January 06, 2018
The box is now with me, it arrived a few days ago but I was away so I had to have it re-delivered.
I will try to get it on its way again as soon as I can ( it may be a bit longer than I would like as both Larry & I have VERY bad colds!) I will PM the next person on the list today.

Journal Entry 10 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, January 12, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

The box isnow on its way to 3vie.

I've taken out three and replaced three.

Added
The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg
Disco for the Departed by Collin Cotterill
Autumn Killing by Mons Kallentoft

Journal Entry 11 by 3vie at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, January 15, 2018
Box has arrived safely. Will make my choices and hopefully have it traveling again by the end of the week.

Journal Entry 12 by 3vie at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 16, 2018
I have chosen 3 and added

The Good Husband Of Zebra Drive - Alexander McCall Smith (Botswana)
A Peculiar Malaysian Mystery- Shamini Flint (Malaysia)
Tutankhamen-Nick Drake (Egypt)

Journal Entry 13 by 3vie at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, January 20, 2018
Back on its travels again

Journal Entry 14 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, January 22, 2018
Box is now with me safely. I am not sure which I will choose from here but I must go and study them to make a choice. I have four possibles to research and a few to research to go in, but that is one of the joys for me of having such a selection.

Thanks for including me in this bookbox, Plum.

Journal Entry 15 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, January 26, 2018
Hmm, a few inspired choices here but I know I have not the concentration at the moment to read all of these despite the fact that I did have some others which could go in here.

Consequently, I've taken out three and replaced three but the last one is a cheat I'm afraid as I had to remove the book I wanted to put in due to being over weight. The only other two I had handy (and underweight) was an Italian writer but lead character and setting was Oxford, England (also against the rules) and this American one, so it is in here but apologies for this American one, as I know it is against the rules.

Added
The Death of a Mafia Don by Michele Giuttari (Florence, Italy)
Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo (Oslo, Norway)
Glitz by Elmore Leonard (Miami, USA) - author and lead character both American and set in Miami.

Box on its travels again to next on the list.

and now, just after I've posted it and was clearing up, I find two books I have by a French author set in France .... oh dear, so sorry. Still a little heavy but one would have worked I think. Feeling very stupid and not a little guilty!!

Journal Entry 16 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, January 29, 2018
Arrived this morning together with 'The Crime BookBox' so I better get busy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingCross-patchwing at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/30/2018 UTC) at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going to the next in line, I hope you have fun with it!

Journal Entry 18 by fleurdelys at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Saturday, February 10, 2018
The bookbox has arrived safely in Belfast :). The selection of books is great, and I’m spoilt for choice!

Journal Entry 19 by fleurdelys at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Sunday, February 11, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/12/2018 UTC) at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom

Happy reading

Journal Entry 20 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 04, 2018
Many apologies, I just realised I hadn't journalled this. It's here and safe, it didn't get lost in the snow.

Journal Entry 21 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, April 02, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (4/3/2018 UTC) at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Being posted back to Plum-crazy.

Journal Entry 22 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 05, 2018
Received home. Thank you all for joining in & hope you found something new & interesting to enjoy :o)

Journal Entry 23 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 04, 2019
ROUND TWO

This is for crime novels set anywhere in the world EXCEPT Great Britain or USA,
however British or American authors will be acceptable providing the setting AND lead character are both foreign.
For example;

Otherwise my usual "rules" apply:

2....the package weighs under 2KG. This is is just to keep costs down. (Postage is currently at £2.95 second class for up to 2KG)

Posting order:

Cross-patch
brunton11
3vie
yorkshire-lass
Flutterbies9
Nataliec7
kinedi

Journal Entry 24 by wingPlum-crazywing at By mail, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 07, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (1/8/2019 UTC) at By mail, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

On it's travels again. First stop, cross-patch & including....

Starting off with:
"The House of Dolls" (The Netherlands) - David Hewson
"Inspector Singh Investigates" (Malaysia) - Shamini Flint
"The Dry" (Australia) - Jane Harper
"The Terracotta Dog" (Italy) - Andrea Camilleri
"Monsieur Pamplemousse & the Militant Midwives" (France) - Michael Bond
"Black Skies" (Iceland) - Arnaldur Indridason
"Bait" (Kenya) - Nick Brownlee

Journal Entry 25 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, January 18, 2019
BookBox was waiting for me last week with a neighbour when I arrived back from a late New Year holiday. I've just got to search out some replacements and then it will be on its way again.

Journal Entry 26 by wingbrunton11wing at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 07, 2019
Arrived safely today. Will make choices and get this book on it's way :)

Journal Entry 27 by wingbrunton11wing at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 09, 2019
I’ve either read or have on mount TBR a lot of the books in the box so just the one book for me this time. I’ve taken out the Inspector Chopra book and replaced it with The Coroner’s Lunch [LAOS].

There are 2 books by Colin Cotterill in the box but different countries so hope that’s ok! Unfortunately the other books I could have put in took it over the 2kg limit.

Journal Entry 28 by 3vie at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, February 11, 2019
Box is now with me. Will make my choices/replacements and get it on its way soon.

Journal Entry 29 by 3vie at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, February 16, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (2/16/2019 UTC) at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

I have chosen 2 and replaced with
The Singapore School of Villainy (Singapore)
The Miracle at Speedy Motors ( Botswana)

I posted the box to Yorkshire- lass this morning.

Journal Entry 30 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, February 18, 2019
Safely with me :-)
I will try to get this on its way again very soon.

Journal Entry 31 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, February 21, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (2/22/2019 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

This is now onits way to Flutterbies9.

Journal Entry 32 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, February 25, 2019
Box arrived today and what a great selection - again!!

I've just opened it and already I have seen four I would love to read - oops, only had three set aside for this and having just weighed them, too heavy to use all three. Argh, can see this being a little fussy to get the weight balanced - still it will be worth it.

Journal Entry 33 by Nataliec7 at Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, March 01, 2019
Received today! What a great selection?! I have a book to read before I can get this moving so hope that's okay!

This will be ready to move on Monday. I took 2 and put in 1, I had another I could put in however would make the box too heavy.

Journal Entry 34 by Nataliec7 at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, March 18, 2019

Released 5 days ago (3/18/2019 UTC) at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted today to next participant.

Journal Entry 35 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 20, 2019
Arrived safely in Co.Durham !! Wow, spoilt for choice me thinks...