Retrograde

by Peter Cawdron | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingSpatialwing of Arlington, Virginia USA on 10/29/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingSpatialwing from Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 29, 2017
RetrogradeRetrograde by Peter Cawdron

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

**I received this book via a Goodreads Giveaway**

I like yoga. I like the idea of yoga. I like how I feel during and after doing yoga. But I hate the repetition of most yoga regimens. The power of three is a strong phenomenon and I understand it's significance in yoga, but unless implemented in a way that I don't notice it, it drives me crazy.

The repetition in Retrograde was hard to ignore. Within the same paragraph the author repeated what Liz thought or felt and then sometimes he sprinkled that same repeated thought or feeling throughout the novel. It wasn't only the main character's thoughts and feelings, it was also elements within the story. Ex. Three different characters are so large they barely passed the limits to make it on the crew to Mars and living there has some issues for them.

Then there were the long, drawn out flashbacks, backstory, and introspection. I like a good introspection, but these were just dull and could have been done better. The backstory and flashbacks also could have been handled better or mixed into the story in a more seamless way. There seems like there needs to be another draft or two before rolling out the finished novel.

Since I'm starting with negatives, I don't know if the author had any input into it or not, but the hype of comparing it to The Martian was aggravating. The comparisons are from the publisher and then, in the Afterword, Andrew Rader compares it to 2001: A Space Odyssey, Rendezvous with Rama, and The Hammer of God. That is a lot for one book to live up to and puts the reader in a prescribed mindset when reading. People are already going to make the comparisons on their own, to point it out like this can cause anyone reviewing the book to possibly be more critical. Retrograde is a good story, but it's not on the level with the others and that is not a bad thing.

Retrograde, if you take away the repetition, rework it a little, and try not to think about all those other books and mentally comparing them to it, you might just have a pretty decent novel. The plot is interesting and the twist is delicious! But until those elements are addressed, it's just going to be lackluster. The repetitiveness will go away, I hope, as this copy is an ARC and so will make the story stronger. It didn't have the same impact for me as The Martian and it does not have the makings of being a classic. But I enjoyed the story and I'm glad I got to experience it!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSpatialwing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/10/2018 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Selected to travel with the Round IV Otherworldly Bookbox.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Congratulations! You've found a traveling book!
See where I've been and track where I go by creating an account and writing a journal entry for this book.
Wish to remain anonymous? Then no need to create an account, just write a journal entry letting us know where you found the book and review it if you like.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 03, 2018
I'm claiming this from the Otherworldly bookbox.

Later: Hmmm. I liked the premise - trapped on an outpost while hearing news of the destruction of your home planet, with the extra fun of having a multi-national crew on the base, leading to the risk of having the global conflict play out again in miniature. When the characters figured out what was behind the war - and the growing number of deaths on Mars as well - I was... a bit miffed; it wasn't a new idea, and I wasn't all that pleased to see it inserted here when the existing stresses were plenty for a story.

But then things shifted even further, with some impressively grisly scenes and some emotionally wrenching ones, asking the big question: what makes a human?

The book seemed to wrap up a bit too quickly - well, aside from the relentless flashbacks, most of which I found intrusive, especially during the more tense bits near the end. But it had some really good elements, and struck me as a good vehicle for a film in the right hands...

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Red's Eats in Wiscasset, Maine USA on Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/19/2018 UTC) at Red's Eats in Wiscasset, Maine USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench at or near Red's Eats, while stopping by for their fabulous lobster roll; hope the finder enjoys the book!

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***