Raven Seek Thy Brother

by Gavin Maxwell | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 10/13/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 13, 2017
I got this from the secondhand bookcase in the cafe of the Thirsk Garden Centre this morning, making the requested donation towards Thirsk's Christmas Lights! It's a delightful market town which will look even better with its market square suitably decorated for the season :-)
I chose it, although it was printed in 1974 and is showing its age, because I loved Ring of Bright Water and was suitably impressed by Lords of the Atlas by this author, both of which I read some 40, possibly even 50 years ago . . . . and because I aim to read at least two nonfictions a month so appealing titles are always welcome!

Amazon Editorial Review: "This book is full of marvellous anecdotes, descriptions of people, landscapes, birds and animals. The author's travels to Iceland are combined with the West Highland setting of Camusfearna."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 24, 2017
It's not just the yellowing pages that show this book's age. The content is pretty dated as well: for example, the author is horrified to be charged an exorbitant 15 shilling (75 pence) for a glass of whisky in Iceland in 1965 . . . .
I found it interesting and I'm pleased I've read it - but there's a pervasive sense of sadness and depression that stopped me loving it.
His line drawings are delightful.

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Follifoot, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Released 12 mos ago (12/12/2017 UTC) at Follifoot, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

In the hands of the Royal Mail, carrying Happy Christmas and New Year Greetings to a BookCrossing friend! Enjoy!

Well over a million people around the world give their books a unique BookCrossing IDentity number (BCID) before sending them out to find new readers. Since the start of the scheme in April 2001 over twelve million such books have been put into circulation. This is one of them!

Our hope is that we can track the progress of our books once they've left our hands - and that's possible if finders like you visit the website, key in the BCID and leave a comment, however long or short. It's fun, it doesn't have to cost anything, although the site always appreciates donations towards running costs, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. You don't have to join but if you do you'll be able to number and track your own books!

Journal Entry 4 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 30, 2017
Thanks Nu- Knees. I'd forgotten you were sending me this. I started it the second finished the Edward Marston book I was reading. So far it's exactly what I expected, and I can't help flicking through to see the wonderful line drawings which I enjoyed in Ring of Bright Water.

Sorry for the delay in journalling.

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 14, 2018
As Nu-Knees says "Its not just the yellowing pages that show this books age". There was one section when the author tried to justify hare coursing which is now thankfully illegal in this country.

I didn't find it quite as sad as Ring of Bright Water and I'm glad I read it. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 6 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 14, 2018
P.S. I found the section about eider farming in Iceland interesting, especially as by some coincidence, I somehow tuned into three TV programmes on the subject whilst reading the book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (4/11/2018 UTC) at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Travelling in a box of books for mutual Bookcrossing friend.

Journal Entry 8 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 18, 2018
To be released

Journal Entry 9 by wingTheBeanOBCZwing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2018
On the shelves at the OBCZ.