corner corner Raven Seek Thy Brother

Raven Seek Thy Brother
by Gavin Maxwell | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 10/13/2017

status (set by Nu-Knees): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 13, 2017

I got this from the secondhand bookcase in the cafe of the Thirsk Garden Centre this morning, making the requested donation towards Thirsk's Christmas Lights! It's a delightful market town which will look even better with its market square suitably decorated for the season :-)
I chose it, although it was printed in 1974 and is showing its age, because I loved Ring of Bright Water and was suitably impressed by Lords of the Atlas by this author, both of which I read some 40, possibly even 50 years ago . . . . and because I aim to read at least two nonfictions a month so appealing titles are always welcome!

Amazon Editorial Review: "This book is full of marvellous anecdotes, descriptions of people, landscapes, birds and animals. The author's travels to Iceland are combined with the West Highland setting of Camusfearna."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 24, 2017

It's not just the yellowing pages that show this book's age. The content is pretty dated as well: for example, the author is horrified to be charged an exorbitant 15 shilling (75 pence) for a glass of whisky in Iceland in 1965 . . . .
I found it interesting and I'm pleased I've read it - but there's a pervasive sense of sadness and depression that stopped me loving it.
His line drawings are delightful.