The Return of Sherlock Holmes

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/13/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, October 13, 2017
I found this good-condition book-of-the-month-club hardcover at a local Savers thrift shop, and nabbed it for another release copy. This one includes the illustrations that accompanied the stories in their original publication.

I've read and enjoyed the Holmes stories often over the years, and this collection includes several favorites - including the first story, "The Empty House," in which Holmes makes his first reappearance after the incident at the Reichenbach Falls, and "Dancing Men", notable for its pictograph code. (There's also "The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter," a story I don't recall reading before, about a member of a champion rugby team who's gone missing. While it's not one of the stronger stories, the unusual setup - and rather poignant conclusion - appealed to me.)

There have been many, many film adaptations of the Holmes stories, but my favorite adaptation is the '80s TV series starring Jeremy Brett.

[For some interesting and amusing comments about the series and its spinoffs, see its TV Tropes page here.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Park and Ride (at Exit 2) bookshelf in Salem, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, October 15, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (10/15/2017 UTC) at Park and Ride (at Exit 2) bookshelf in Salem, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the book-swap shelf inside the bus terminal this afternoon; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 TV Series release challenge. ***