Moominvalley in November (A Camelot book)

by Tove Jansson | Children's Books |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/8/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, October 08, 2017
I got this slightly-battered softcover from Better World Books for another release copy.

I really enjoyed this, although I don't know if I would have liked it at all if I'd read it as a kid. To me, now, it seems a wonderfully atmospheric tale, dreamy and sad, completely evoking the coming of autumn [both of the season and of life itself]. The odd little creatures that populate the story each have different reasons for seeking out the Moominvalley, and they make their way there only to find that the Moomins are not at home - haven't been for some time, apparently. The oddly-assorted bunch somehow settle in to wait, and begin to make something of a home, though they never quite understand each other... it's all very - well, odd, a mix of finding one's self alone in an unfamiliar place and of waking up in, say, Middle Earth, but without a map.

"The quiet transition from autumn to winter is not a bad time at all. It's a time for protecting and securing things and for making sure you've got in as many supplies as you can. It's nice to gather together everything you possess as close to you as possible, to store up your warmth and your thoughts and burrow yourself into a deep hole inside, a core of safety where you can defend what is important and precious and your very own. Then the cold and the storms and the darkness can do their worst. They can grope their way up the walls looking for a way in, but they won't find one, everything is shut, and you sit inside, laughing in your warmth and your solitude, for you have had foresight.

"There are those who stay at home and those who go away, and it has always been so. Everyone can choose for himself, but he must choose while there is still time and never change his mind."

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series and its many adaptations, with some entertaining comments.]

Released 1 yr ago (10/9/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library, Legacy Playground in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this warm, drizzly day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 Tick Tock release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2017 TV Series release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Oak Hill Conservation Area in Chelmsford, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, November 19, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (11/19/2017 UTC) at Oak Hill Conservation Area in Chelmsford, Massachusetts USA

As this book was still in the LFL after several weeks, I decided to move it to another spot - a themed release, as there's a Moomin Bridge geocache nearby, though I didn't try for it today as I could hear gunfire - hunting season, presumably, and me without my blaze-orange vest. Left this book, bagged against the elements, in the information sign at the Swain Rd. trailhead on this windy afternoon. Hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]