A Long Night at Abu Simbel (Penguin 60s)

by Penelope Lively | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/8/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, October 08, 2017
I got this little softcover from Better World Books. I like the little Penguin 60s series, as the books include nice samples of many authors' work - and may fit into geocaches, too! This one includes three stories: the title tale, "The Emasculation of Ted Roper" (about an old man who identifies a bit too strongly with his randy tomcat), and "Pack of Cards" (about a man who finally gets to visit the family of his love-interest, only to discover that their entire library consists of books that have never been read).

The title story was quite riveting, in a dark way: a tour guide, exasperated by how unpleasant her charges are and how difficult it's been getting guides who show up on time, finally just walks off the job - abandoning her charges at the remote Abu Simbel site, without letting any of them know. They blithely ignore the final toots of the horn from their bus driver, and only discover their situation after having to hike a couple of miles to the tiny airport - where they learn they'll have to stay until the next day's plane comes in. Cue much bickering, some suspense (there are elderly folk among the tourists), and a general "traveler's nightmare" situation... There's a nice (and all-too-believable) little fillip at the end, and overall I liked the story.

Released 1 yr ago (10/28/2017 UTC) at New Hampshire geocache (see notes for details) in -- Geocaches, New Hampshire USA

I left this little book, bagged for protection, in the NH #1 - Mines Follies geocache in Mine Falls Park, Nashua, on this lovely afternoon. (The cache was the first ever placed in New Hampshire and has a long and fascinating history.) Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 Spooktacular October release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2017 Tick Tock release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Nashua, NH, -- Geocaches -- USA on Thursday, January 11, 2018
Found this book in a NH geocache in the beginning of December. I brought it home with me to Eastern PA and have finally now read it during a bout of insomnia. I enjoyed this little book very much and did not even know of the Penguin 60 books and am glad to have discovered them. Will be releasing this book to the radiology waiting room where I work for somebody else to enjoy.
Danielle