Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis

by J. D. Vance | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/8/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, October 08, 2017
I got this hardcover from a cousin visiting from California, who liked it a lot. It's been on my wishlist for some time so I look forward to reading it. (I first heard about it at a local book group when we read Gypsy Boy, and one member recommended this title as a similar memoir about a very different culture.)

Later: Fascinating look at the culture, with admirable qualities such as intense loyalty and unnerving ones such as the tendency to react to any slight with violence. The author has some thoughtful things to say about the schism between economic classes too, all the more pertinent in today's political climate.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 47 Howard St. in Portland, Maine USA on Sunday, February 17, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (2/17/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, 47 Howard St. in Portland, Maine USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library while in the area to check out some of the many microbreweries. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in ME here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Heads Shoulders Knees Toes release challenge, for the embedded "leg" in the title. ***