Lintang and the Pirate Queen

by Tamara Moss | Children's Books |
Registered by jubby of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 10/8/2017
Journal Entry 1 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 08, 2017
Back cover reads:

Lintang dreams of having adventures on the High Seas.

When a deadly mythie attacks the same day the infamous Captain Shafira visits her island, Lintang gets her chance, defending her village with the bravery that earns her a place on the pirate queen's ship.

But they've barely left the island when Lintang discovers her best friend, Bayani, has stowed away. Telling Captain Shafira means betraying her friend, but keeping Bayani's secret risks everything... including their lives.

Review:
This was a cracking good read. Suggested age range would be 10+.

With a diverse array of characters this novel will appeal to a wide audience. A strong female lead character, with mystery, adventure and self-discovery this was a wild-ride of a book.

The narrative chapters are interspersed with illustrated entries from The Mythie Guidebook. Illustrations by James Brouwer - the sirens and mermaids being my favourite.

These 'mythies' are not of the Disney-variety, but are more of the Ancient Greek eat-the-humans-and-sink-the-ship kind.

The clever inclusion of re-worked mythical creatures and modern-day events (fake news, foreign policies, international diplomatic relations and cultural differences) have made this a modern story - reminding me of Philip K. Dick.

Plot twists, sensational characters (Captain Shafira would give Captain Jack Sparrow a run for his money) and interweaving storylines (eg. Bayani's personal quest and Avalon's identity) make this a tight and exciting read. But, probably a great read-aloud to year 5 & 6 classes too.

The 'big event' in the story reminded me of The Shining by Stephen King, and I was relieved when author Tamara Moss was able to maintain the suspense and drama, without descending into bloody violence.

Lastly, the next book in the serious Lintang and the forbidden island is due out late January, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (10/8/2017 UTC) at Rozelle Markets, Rozelle Public School in Rozelle, New South Wales Australia

Please ignore how battered this poor copy is. I lugged it around with me in my travels - including Bilpin, where cider was spilled on it.

Planning on leaving this book somewhere in the markets.