Tony and Susan

by Austin Wright | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjlautnerwing of Henderson, Nevada USA on 10/21/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Saturday, October 21, 2017
Purchased from the Pilot truck stop in Kramer Junction, California, in August 2017.

Two novels in one! What more can I ask?

Susan Morrow is a college professor who first met Edward Sheffield when a child. Edward lived with Susan's family for a while, and later the two reconnected and married. The marriage fell apart when Edward decided to ditch law and become a writer. Susan thought he was wasting his time and her life, and that his talent was not large enough to do the job.

Susan moves on to marry Arnold, a once-neighbor of the couple, and Edward moves away, marries again. The two do not keep in contact.

Years later - the beginning of the book - Susan hears from Edward. He has written a book and would like her critical opinion. "You always were my best critic", he says, or something like that. She agrees to read it. When she receives the manuscript she lets it sit, delaying reading it until three days before Edward is scheduled to come visit.

Tony is the main character of Edward's novel. He and his family are forced off the road in the middle of the night and ultimately his wife and daughter are driven off in one car while Tony is taken to a remote place in the woods and left there. Tony finds his way to civilization and to the police, where he finds a police lieutenant who takes on Tony's case with a vengeance.

The book is split in two, with the Susan story ("real") enveloping Tony's story ("fiction"). As Susan reads we get to read with her and then read her thoughts. Tony's story is heart-stopping and grabbed me right away. Susan has to re-evaluate Edward's qualities as a writer while she considers the poor choice she made in Arnold. She also is careful to keep her editor cap on, trying to separate her knowledge of Edward from her analysis of the book. She is engrossed by the book and has much she wants to talk to Edward about. We feel Susan trying to be honest with herself and not always succeeding.

Two stories that both have meaning and overlaps. A good one for conversation, analysis. Why did Edward send the book to Susan after so many years? Why did Susan delay reading it? What does Tony have to do with Edward, or with Susan? So many questions.

In this audio edition a woman reads the Susan part and a man Tony's story. I think it worked well that way and helped keep the stories separate. I felt the readers did well with the material.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Monday, March 18, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (3/18/2019 UTC) at Henderson, Nevada USA