The Diamond Age

by Neal Stephenson | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by emmejo of Cortland, New York USA on 10/6/2017
Journal Entry 1 by emmejo from Cortland, New York USA on Friday, October 06, 2017
I had tried to read this book several years ago and didn't make it very far. But I liked the concepts enough to pick it up for another go recently and liked it much better this time around. Stephenson's world is lively and interesting, and that was the main thing that held my attention. Many of the characters feel like cyberpunk archetypes, but sense of a web of humanity's connectedness and reliance on each other in society is one you rarely find in cyberpunk, which tends to prize the "lone wolf" type.

I couldn't make up my mind on how I felt about the writing style. At first I didn't care for it, but over time it began to blend into the setting and seemed to complement the world depicted here. I think it was very effective, even if it felt a little unnatural.

Journal Entry 2 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, March 09, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (3/9/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

One of the starting volumes in the Otherworldly (Shrinking) Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Selected from the Round IV Otherworldly Bookbox.

I've only read one other book by Stephenson, Seven Eves. He definitely has a unique style that is more science leaning, making it harder to wade through.
I currently have two other books on my shelves from him, Cryptonomicon, which is a beast of a book at 900+ pages and Snow Crash, which is a little shorter at 600+ pages (edit: Oops! More like 400+ pages). So, The Diamond Age may be a better alternative until I can convince myself to jump into his longer works.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSpatialwing at ABC Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (4/17/2019 UTC) at ABC Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Adding to the restarted ABC Bookbox.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 26, 2019
I'm claiming this from the Already Been Crossed bookbox!

Later: I dipped into this one and found some elements of interest, but overall it didn't grab me. The steampunk-meets-nano-tech aspects were fun, but some of the story elements rubbed me the wrong way.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the novel with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (4/30/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***