The Truth: Discworld Novel 25

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 10/5/2017
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Thursday, October 05, 2017
The Truth holds a special place in my heart as it was the first DW book I'd read in English, the first time (after about half a dozen books) I actually got to appreciate Pratchett's writing style and sense of humour.

I bought this copy to read along with Mark Reads Discworld.

The plot:
William de Worde has just launched The Ankh-Morpork Times, Ankh-Morpork's first newspaper, when the latest attempt to get rid of the Patrician provides plenty of news. William suspects foul play and invents investigative journalism.

I had mostly forgotten what the book actually was about (aside from somehow being linked to the press) but it feels a bit like it's almost part of the Watch series except that William is a bit quicker to figure out whodunit than Vimes, mostly due to his unique connections.

The first time I read this I immediately fell in love with all these Watch characters. On this reread I came from the other direction and appreciated all their cameos. :)

I like that we get to experience them through William's eyes, which shows that a) they're doing a good job (especially Cheery <3) and b) the public doesn't necessarily agree. I also thought that the conflict between the law enforcement's need for secrecy and the press' interest in digging out said secrets felt very realistic.

For the most part I found the parts dealing with Pin and Tulip rather annoying. Tulip's misplaced drug addiction, in particular, was getting on my nerves.

William and Sacharissa, on the other hand, are highly likeable (and from now on, I believe, recurring) characters.

1. Carpe Jugulum
2. Small Gods
3. Maskerade
4. Men at Arms
5. The Truth
6. Jingo
-------- (imaginary line splitting special favourites from "normal" favourites)
7. Guards! Guards!