Take What You Can Carry

by Kevin C. Pyle | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 10/5/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, October 05, 2017
The book tells two stories alternatively: one of a delinquent adolescent who newly moves to a suburb and ends up spending a night in jail when he gets caught stealing. Another of a Japanese American boy forced to move to the relocation camp after Pearl Harbor. Slowly, as the story unfolds, the two stories meet up.

It's a beautiful and poignant tale. The sumie style for the Japanese tangent really evolves the loneliness and sparseness of the camp. However, without any words, it's also at times difficult to actually understand what happens, and it feels that some narrative detail is sacrificed using this style of storytelling. However, I've read a few stories about this slice of history so I get some idea what happens.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 26, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (10/26/2017 UTC) at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

putting into bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
This came back in my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 4 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Sunday, December 02, 2018
This was very interesting premise wise. The two stories alternating back and forth move the reader from WWII era California to a modern day suburb of Chicago. I really liked how the two stories merge as the story unfolded. The artwork for this book was amazing. But like Azuki, I wish that there had been dialog included for the storyline set during WWII. The wordless style of storytelling was poignant, but a little bit of dialog would have made events a bit easier to follow.

I really enjoyed this little book Azuki. Thank you so much for including it in my manga book box.

Journal Entry 5 by wingnimrodielwing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, May 19, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (5/26/2019 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Adding in to the Far East Book Box.

Journal Entry 6 by freezone at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, June 27, 2019
Picked this up in the Far East bookbox...will read and then give to a friend's son, who loves graphic novels. I've heard of this one, and am looking forward to it.