The Last Bookaneer: A Novel

by Matthew Pearl | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by edithdoll of Winthrop, Massachusetts USA on 10/4/2017
Journal Entry 1 by edithdoll from Winthrop, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, October 04, 2017
High really high hopes for this book, the whole concept of a "bookaneer" or book pirate really seemed interesting. But it moved quite slow. Spoilers of sorts follow--I wasn't sure at first who the main character really was. The flashbacks were sort of helpful but I felt like at times it was hard to skip back and forth between present and past actions/stories of the characters. Over the first half of the book really moved slow--the last third and/or quarter really picked up steam but for me it was a disappointing ending i.e. the character you thought was one a certain type of person/turned out to be something else, which is odd because this same character was the main narrator. Personally I felt it was muddled and I appreciated the frenzy at the end of the book but the whole unraveling really was inspired in my opinion. But setting aside for bookcrossing friend who said she may want to read it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, February 24, 2018
Thanks so much for the book! I enjoyed The Dante Club, though it wasn't without its flaws; will see what I think of this one!

Later: I enjoyed some aspects of the story (and appreciated the choice of quotes on each viewpoint-switch section!), but by the end I found myself torn between being appalled at [villain]'s vision and laughing hysterically at the concept (which begged to be illustrated by one of the better cartoonists for the New Yorker). I've read some things about the real-life bookaneers in pre-copyright (or at least pre-international-copyright-enforcement) days, and it always made me angry, so that part of this story tended to make me skim a bit. And I got caught up in a collision of books, too; I recently read The Jekyll Revelation, in which Stevenson actually created a Jekyll/Hyde potion, leading to a merging of Samoan author-retreat and monster-story, so the Samoa scenes here got a bit muddy for me {wry grin}.

I enjoyed the author's notes at the end; it's funny how often the "how this book came to be" bits interest me more than the book itself!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Marianapolis Prep School in Thompson, Connecticut USA on Sunday, April 22, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/21/2018 UTC) at Marianapolis Prep School in Thompson, Connecticut USA

I left this book near a handsomely-painted boulder by the playing fields, while on a book-release road-trip in honor of International BookCrossing Day. Hope someone enjoys the book!

(For those on Facebook, see the International BookCrossing Day event.)

[See other recent releases in CT here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***