The Wild Ways

by Tanya Huff | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 075640763X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/3/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 03, 2017
Got this fair-condition paperback at a local Savers thrift shop. It's from Tanya Huff's Enchantment Emporium series, about a magical family whose members may encounter serious trauma when they first grow into their powers. This book focuses on interactions between the family and a group of enraged Selkies, who are trying to battle an oil company whose offshore rigs are despoiling their waters. (In honor of the Selkie theme, the between-section dingbats are in the form of a lovely little sketch of a seal!)

Warring generations, disgruntled teens, Celtic Rock music, and more!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (12/19/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to imawinn2’s Magical Mystical bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, December 28, 2017
Taken from the box. I've enjoyed some other books by Huff, so I'm curious to give this one a go.

Journal Entry 4 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, March 01, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I'm going to have to keep an eye out for others in the series. This was a fun urban fantasy romp that made for an easy, relaxing read, without the copious amounts of stilted romantic melodrama that often come along with books that try to walk the line between urban fantasy and paranormal romance.

That's not to say there isn't anything sexual. Charlie has a pretty solid, settled (although she'd probably object to that term!) relationship and the heads of the Gale family are kind of obsessive about managing their magical bloodlines, so sex comes up a fair bit, but it is treated in a matter-of-fact way. The closest thing we get to romantic drama is Charlie's nearly-crush on a cute selkie, who she quickly realizes is straight, so she keeps her occasional daydreams to herself.

As usual for Huff, there is snappy writing, interesting settlings, and well-crafted magic systems.

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, March 09, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (3/9/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

One of the starting volumes in the Otherworldly (Shrinking) Bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, June 03, 2018
I am choosing this book out of the Otherworldly Bookbox. Ha! I see it was once on a journey to me via my Magical Mystical Bookbox, but made a stop at emmejo’s. Nice to see it made it here, in a round about way.