corner corner Tupperware: The Promise of Plastic in 1950's America

Tupperware: The Promise of Plastic in 1950's America
by Alison J. Clarke | Nonfiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/3/2017

status (set by innae): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 03, 2017

I got this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop. Looks like an entertaining "biography of things" - in this case, Tupperware! When I was a kid, I recall some of the family Tupperware containers, but I don't think my mother ever had a Tupperware party at our house (though she must have attended one or two). I never had a dedicated fondness for the stuff, but it was certainly useful!

The book goes into the history of its development, its advantages over competing products of the day, the growth of the home-party method of selling (which was largely driven by women, including one with the memorable name of Brownie Wise, one of the most successful businesswomen of her day), and more. I especially enjoyed the many vintage photos and advertising copy - oh, how naive they seem!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 26, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (5/29/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Biographies of Things bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop after the Memorial Day weekend. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Tuesday, July 03, 2018

I found this book in the Biography of things bookbox, and I so love Tupperware, my mom sold it when I was a youngin..so, I shall keep this book with me!