Golden Hill

by Francis Spufford | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by snoopy56 of Ormesby St Margaret, Norfolk United Kingdom on 9/25/2017
Journal Entry 1 by snoopy56 from Ormesby St Margaret, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2017
This book has garnered some ecstatic reviews so I was intrigued to read it. It took me a while to get into but it was worth persevering. I particularly enjoyed the chase sequence. It was interesting reading about the early history of the settlers on Manhattan and I thought the ending was very satisfying.
This is now going as a RABCK to Greenbadger.

Journal Entry 2 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Thank you very much for this wishlist RABCK! This was recommended to me. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 3 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2018
Spufford's wonderful story of a newcomer to New York in 1746. Richard Smith arrives with an order for 1000 pounds that he wants to cash in, but since he's unknown in the city, it's unclear to anyone including the reader whether the quick-tongued and uncategorisable Richard is a rich young man or a fraudster. This is beautifully, beautifully written and provides vividly the atmosphere of 18th century New York in a way that can't fail to captivate.

Journal Entry 4 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 20, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/20/2018 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to VintageVanguard from round 15 of the Alphabet VBB.

Journal Entry 5 by VintageVanguard at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Friday, August 31, 2018
Arrived safely with me. Thank you very much!