Singing the Dogstar Blues

by Alison Goodman | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/20/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 20, 2017
I got this good-condition hardcover from the local library's ongoing book sale. It's an intriguing tale of a rebellious 17-year-old harmonica player who's teamed with a bereft alien at their university.

I really enjoyed this, with its definitely-non-human alien (including cultural differences and linguistic/communication issues), its not-too-distant-future concepts, and its lively characters and relationships. The bond between Joss and her unwanted alien partner Mavkel causes problems for both, but also proves to be the motivation for changes in both of their lives - and may save Mavkel's life in the end. If only they can travel back in time to find out who Joss's father was... [The reasons why they need to know this - and why, in an information-heavy age, the answer can't be found without time-travel - make up part of the intriguingly-twisty plot. And, yes, in the end it turns out there are very good reasons for the secrecy, for Joss's sensitivity to Mavkel, and for other things that made little sense up front; I like it when an author doesn't drop plot-threads!]

I appreciated the way that the Mavkel/Joss bond and growing friendship played out too - it's closer than a typical friendship but is definitely not a romance, and feels believable. The ties with other friends and allies (of both species) were great, and the Power of Friendship had a significant bearing in how the story ended up. Quite entertaining, more than I expected. And it'd make a really cool movie in the right hands; modern CGI could render Mavkel and his fellow aliens in a way that old-style makeup never could!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Bedford Village Inn in Bedford, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 30, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/30/2017 UTC) at Bedford Village Inn in Bedford, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book somewhere inside the inn at around 5:30 while stopping by for dinner; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 September Sapphire release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2017 You're Such an Animal release challenge, for the embedded "dog" in the title. ***