Thin Air (Shetland)

by Ann Cleeves | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 1447202104 Global Overview for this book
Registered by kinedi of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 9/18/2017
Journal Entry 1 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, September 18, 2017
A group of old university friends leave the bright lights of London and travel to Unst, Shetland's most northerly island, to celebrate the marriage of one of their friends to a Shetlander. But late on the night of the wedding party, one of them, Eleanor, disappears - apparently into thin air. It's mid-summer, a time of light nights and unexpected mists. The following day, Eleanor's friend Polly receives an email. It appears to be a suicide note, saying she'll never be found alive. And then Eleanor's body is discovered, lying in a small loch close to the cliff edge.

Detectives Jimmy Perez and Willow Reeves are dispatched to Unst to investigate. Before she went missing, Eleanor claimed to have seen the ghost of a local child who drowned in the 1920s. Her interest in the ghost had seemed unhealthy - obsessive, even - to her friends: an indication of a troubled mind. But Jimmy and Willow are convinced that there is more to Eleanor's death than they first thought.

Is there a secret that lies behind the myth? One so shocking that someone would kill - many years later - to protect?

Ann Cleeves' striking Shetland novel explores the tensions between tradition and modernity that lie deep at the heart of a community, and how events from the past can have devastating effects on the presen

Journal Entry 2 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Found this in a charity shop and picked it up as I had watched one or two episodes of the BBC drama but got really annoyed as all the main characters seemed to be proper Glaswegians and not Shetlanders. This book is the 6th in the series so a lot has happened to the characters in previous books that I was unaware of so I will have to look the earlier ones up too. The story is really well written - the weather and the fog seems to be omnipresent and it has a real ''Shetland feel '' to it. I did like all the main characters and will definitely be reading more.

Journal Entry 3 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, November 27, 2017

Released 6 yrs ago (11/27/2017 UTC) at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom

On its way to BLu177 in Germany. Happy reading

Journal Entry 4 by BLu177 at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Sunday, December 17, 2017
Thank you Kinedi, the book safely arrived in Frankfurt.

Journal Entry 5 by BLu177 at Café Plazz, Kirchplatz in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Saturday, April 13, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/13/2024 UTC) at Café Plazz, Kirchplatz in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany

Uups, the book was that long on my tbr mountain... but as I do have it also in my private collection, it will be released at today's meetup in Frankfurt.

Journal Entry 6 by wingauweiawing at Lübz, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Saturday, April 13, 2024
Caught this book at the meetup in Frankfurt. I like the Shetland-tv-series and so it might be a good idea to improve my english skills by reading this book :-)

Journal Entry 7 by wingauweiawing at Bücherschrank (Englische Telefonzelle) in Friedberg, Hessen Germany on Sunday, April 14, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/14/2024 UTC) at Bücherschrank (Englische Telefonzelle) in Friedberg, Hessen Germany

Nachdem ich wegen Rückenschmerzen kaum schlafen konnte, werde ich das Buch doch nicht auf meine lange Zugfahrt mitnehmen und lasse es in Friedberg frei