Burmese Days

by George Orwell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by MMMaartje of Ijsselstein, Utrecht Netherlands on 9/16/2017
Journal Entry 1 by MMMaartje from Ijsselstein, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, September 16, 2017
If you have found this book, congratulations! You have gained a book AND made my day by coming to the site and checking out what it's all about.

Please register the book, so I will know that you found it. You can do this anonymously, or you can sign up (for free) here at bookcrossing.com. That way you will also be able to see where the book travels after you release it. If you do decide to sign up, it would be great if you mention me (MMMaartje) as a referral. Thank you!

You are of course welcome to keep the book you found, but it would be even better if you read it and then pass it on to someone else, or leave it somewhere, so it can continue on its travels. Either way, enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by MMMaartje at Ijsselstein, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/30/2018 UTC) at Ijsselstein, Utrecht Netherlands

Sending this to FinalsEnd. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by BookishPanda at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 03, 2018
I received this book from MMMaartje, because it is on the 1001 books list. Thank you!

"Based on his experiences as a policeman in Burma, George Orwell's first novel presents a devastating picture of British colonial rule. It describes corruption and imperial bigotry in a society where, 'after all, natives were natives - interesting, no doubt, but finally ... an inferior people'. When Flory, a white timber merchant, befriends Indian Dr Veraswami, he defies this orthodoxy. The doctor is in danger: U Po Kyin, a corrupt magistrate, is plotting his downfall. The only thing that can save him is membership of the all-white Club, and Flory can help. Flory's life is changed further by the arrival of beautiful Elizabeth Lackersteen from Paris, who offers an escape from loneliness and the 'lie' of colonial life."

Journal Entry 4 by BookishPanda at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, April 15, 2018
I "enjoyed" this book a lot, I found it very meaningful. It's weird to say enjoyed, because the whole situation and the things happening are horrible, but I hope you understand how I mean it.
I think it's important to remember the injustices, the way of thinking of the people back then (he describes it very well, even though I do not agree with the ideas of natives being lesser people and hunting animals etc.) to prevend it in the future. It reminds me of "Max Havelaar". I think the book is very well written. Some people think the book is not damning enough, but I think it had to have some subtelty to make people read it back then, so I think it's a smart move. I think every reader nowadays will get the message.

Journal Entry 5 by BookishPanda at Saumur, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, June 11, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (6/11/2018 UTC) at Saumur, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Olivia_Lo (winner of this "one book a month" April offer). Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by BookishPanda at Saumur, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, June 14, 2018
Book has been sent to the return address, don't know why. Will send it again.

Journal Entry 7 by BookishPanda at Saumur, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, June 15, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (6/15/2018 UTC) at Saumur, Pays de la Loire France

The people from the post office didn't understand how this mistake could've been made either. Book is now on its way again. Hope everything will go well.

Journal Entry 8 by Olivia_Lo at Hualien, Hualien Taiwan on Sunday, July 01, 2018
The book is here!! Safe and cosy now :)