Love In A Cold Climate

by Nancy Mitford | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by MMMaartje of IJsselstein, Utrecht Netherlands on 9/16/2017
Journal Entry 1 by MMMaartje from IJsselstein, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, September 16, 2017
If you have found this book, congratulations! You have gained a book AND made my day by coming to the site and checking out what it's all about.

Please register the book, so I will know that you found it. You can do this anonymously, or you can sign up (for free) here at bookcrossing.com. That way you will also be able to see where the book travels after you release it. If you do decide to sign up, it would be great if you mention me (MMMaartje) as a referral. Thank you!

You are of course welcome to keep the book you found, but it would be even better if you read it and then pass it on to someone else, or leave it somewhere, so it can continue on its travels. Either way, enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by MMMaartje at IJsselstein, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Released 4 yrs ago (1/30/2018 UTC) at IJsselstein, Utrecht Netherlands

Sending this to FinalsEnd. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by BookishPanda at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 3, 2018
I received this book from MMMaartje, because it is on the 1001 books list. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by BookishPanda at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, May 7, 2018
I'm not going to read this book, because I read online that a character has paedophile tendencies in this book (and that's being accepted by the others).

"A sparkling romantic comedy that vividly evokes the lost glamour of aristocratic life in England between the wars.

Polly Hampton has long been groomed for the perfect marriage by her mother, the fearsome and ambitious Lady Montdore. But Polly, with her stunning good looks and impeccable connections, is bored by the monotony of her glittering debut season in London. Having just come from India, where her father served as Viceroy, she claims to have hoped that society in a colder climate would be less obsessed with love affairs. The apparently aloof and indifferent Polly has a long-held secret, however, one that leads to the shattering of her mother's dreams and her own disinheritance. When an elderly duke begins pursuing the disgraced Polly and a callow potential heir curries favor with her parents, nothing goes as expected, but in the end all find happiness in their own unconventional ways. "

Journal Entry 5 by BookishPanda at Saumur, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, June 11, 2018

Released 4 yrs ago (6/11/2018 UTC) at Saumur, Pays de la Loire France

Sending this to Delphi_Reader (winner of this "one book a month" May offer).

Journal Entry 6 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Monday, June 18, 2018
This book is now in Delphi, Greece! Thank you very much MMMaartje for registering and BookishPanda for sending it over. Thanks for your nice cards also!

I'm not familiar with Nancy Mitford so I'm curious to see what I'll make out of reading this...

Journal Entry 7 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Saturday, July 7, 2018
Well, what can I say... I'm not sure what I was expecting when picking up this book, but definately I wasn't expecting such an old-fashioned, monotonous and mundane novel. I was on the verge of abandoning it many times and it took me more than a week to read it, I was putting it down and nothing called me back to it and there were many rolling of the eyes moments.

I guess this could have been interesting for some people at the time it was written and I see that some readers rate it highly even nowadays, but to me it was a boring description of everyday life of "old rich", airhead people, making a fuss about appearences and trite stuff and behaving weirdly, while the book's preface of a plot was weak and didn't build any suspence or anything. The end was very abrupt while even the narrator -who is supposed to feature some extra virtues comparing to the other characters- was very dull too!

I'll count me finishing this book as a personal achievement!

Journal Entry 8 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 13, 2018

Released 4 yrs ago (7/13/2018 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Different folks, different strokes, horses for courses, a man's treasure... etc etc. lol
I didn't like this book, but I hope future readers will like it more than me.

"Love In A Cold Climate" is now traveling to mcsar in Canada and then... who knows?

Good Luck!

Journal Entry 9 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, September 14, 2018
Thank you sending me the book. Despite the negative feedback from the previous readers, I am still interested to read this as it is on the 1001 list.

------------------------------
Updated October 23, 2019

I finished it last week, I think, but forgot to journal right away. I enjoyed it much more than previous readers. I found it to be a wonderfully fun read that is beautifully written. I like the wicked wit of the author and her use of language.

Half way through the book, I suspected I read it before, probably many many years ago. I remember the story but not the title of the book, which I thought was new to me. Anyway, a good one off the 1001 book list.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmcsarwing at To Fulfill A Wish, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 24, 2019

Released 2 yrs ago (10/25/2019 UTC) at To Fulfill A Wish, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

A traveling companion to Guy Fawkes for Bonfire Night. Happy reading.

Journal Entry 11 by JudySlump612 at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, November 16, 2019
Once again, mcsar stuns me with her generosity. This was on my wish list after a copy went missing on a bad loan, and I can hardly express how happy I am to have it back in my loving arms. With a delightful cover, too (even better than the one shown).