The Queen of Katwe: One Girl's Triumphant Path to Becoming a Chess Champion

by Tim Crothers | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 9/16/2017
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, September 16, 2017
Picked this up at the Mississauga Symphony Book Sale.

From Chapters:
Already optioned for film by Disney directed by Mira Nair, The Queen of Katwe is the inspirational story of a teenage girl from one of the poorest slums in Africa who, thanks to one small effort to empower children through sport, became an international chess champion.

Phiona Mutesi, is a 15-year-old girl born and raised in a miserable slum called Katwe in Kampala, Uganda. Phiona Mutesi is also one of the top chess players in the world. By the age of 11, in 2007, Phiona was her country's junior chess champion and at 15, her country's national champion. In September of 2010 she traveled to Siberia, just her 2nd time ever on an airplane, to compete in the Chess Olympiad, the world's most prestigious team chess event. While there, Phiona proved herself to be on par with the greatest players in the sport. Her goal is to one day become a grandmaster, the most elite title in chess, and to blaze a trail out of Katwe that other children in her chess community can follow. The Queen of Katwe is the ultimate underdog story.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 3, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (2/4/2024 UTC) at Burlington, Ontario Canada

I've been doing some bookshelf cleaning and I've had this book for too long, time to share! To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.