Washington Square (Penguin Popular Classics)

by Henry James | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 014062192x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingBookworm-ladywing of Madrid, Madrid Spain on 9/15/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, September 15, 2017
"Henry James's heroine in this novel is the plain, shy heiress Catherine Sloper."

"Unaccustomed to courtship and susceptible to charm, Catherine falls deeply in love with the handsome opportunist Morris Townsend. Her father, Doctor Sloper, scenting a fortune-hunter, is confident he can prevent the marriage. So confident that, when persuasion fails, he attempts to protect Catherine by threatening to disinherit her."

"Washington Square is high drama, a battle of wills between father and daughter enacted in the exquisite drawing-rooms of New York society in the 1850s, a world evoked to perfection in one of Henry James's most popular and accessible novels."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Reserved for Diane-Fraser's INTL Shrinking VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, November 03, 2019
It has been too long in this VBB, so I will find a new home for this book. :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, November 15, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (11/15/2019 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to the winner of the Classic Sweepstakes, with "some travelling companions".
Congrats on winning... and enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Tuesday, November 26, 2019
Washington Square arrived safely in Delphi, Greece yesterday, along with my "awards" for two other Sweepstakes. I have been extremely lucky recently!

Thank you for the clever printings/notes too Bookworm-lady!

Recently I have been thinking that I need to revisit/to read more of some specific authors. It has been ages since I tried anything from them. One of these authors was Henry James! So, here comes the chance! Thank you very much!

Journal Entry 6 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Tuesday, June 02, 2020
I kind of enjoyed Washington Square. There is a very simple premise on which Henry James builds his novel and nearly no action whatsoever. The book reads mostly as a character study and a clash of wills which I liked to watch but didn't love. I think part of the problem is that the setting and the way society was functioning and people were behaving back then are alient today while all these mannerisms get tiring after a while. I found the characters rather dull except Doctor Sloper who wasn't exactly likeable, but stubborn or not, cynical or not, at least features some qualities and sticks with his views and his clear perception on things till the end. I found Mrs Penniman very irking and in general I don't think I could connect with any of the people featuring in this book. I'm impressed on the skill of the author to make something out of a so limited plot and to keep the reader's interest till the end. Some people don't like Henry James' prose, but personally I had no issues with his long sentences and his witticisms.

Not a masterpiece or something, but a very decent read.