Pride and Prejudice

by Jane Austen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/12/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, September 12, 2017
I got this good-condition softcover from the ongoing book sale at the Milford NH public library, for another release copy.

Austen's novels are favorites of mine (though I confess to preferring Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion to this one). I first read Pride and Prejudice while I was in school, though I don't remember if it was assigned reading or not. In any case, I enjoyed it, but I've been amused to discover as the years pass that, while the book remains a favorite, the aspects of it that I like most change over time. It's still wonderfully funny, but I can also see more of the quiet desperation that lurks behind the draperies... There have been a number of screen adaptations, of which my favorite - and, as far as I know, the most faithful - is the 1995 BBC mini-series.

Just for fun: here's an entry on P&P from a cute little book called Haiku U:

Single white lass seeks
landed gent for marriage, whist.
No parsons, thank you.

[There's an amusing P&P-based guest strip on the Unshelved site; the strip doesn't explicitly mention the recent Austen-parody Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but it certainly hints at it! Oh, and the extensive TV Tropes page on the book and adaptations is quite fun. For some entertaining retellings-with-critiques, check out Bitch in a Bonnet by Robert Rodi. ]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Legacy Playground in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 15, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/15/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library, Legacy Playground in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 Movie release challenge. ***