Wolf's Rain, Vol. 1

by Bones | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/9/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 09, 2017
I got this fair-condition softcover from Better World Books, for another release copy. I first read it some time back, after reading about it on its TV Tropes page.

It's an interesting concept for a story, but I have to admit I was pretty confused going in! By the end of volume 1, the basic concepts were fairly clear: the world seems to be dying, with scattered human populations clinging to life and fearing strangers. Amid all this, a handful of wolves - who've somehow gained the ability to appear as humans, even though they don't actually change shape - are drawn together by the scent of a "lunar flower", in actuality a young girl who first appears in a mysterious laboratory. The wolves have a myth that if they can find the flower it will lead them to Paradise, but not all of them believe this; even so, they wind up following the scent and protecting each other, however grudgingly. There's also a bounty hunter who's after the wolves, and a powerful nobleman who's after the Lunar Flower girl - a lot of plot elements to establish in one book!

The wolves-who-look-like-humans concept bothered me from the outset; since the wolves don't actually change shape, it means that whenever the illustrations show the human-form characters picking things up or carrying other characters, the wolf-forms must actually be using their teeth to carry or drag things, and in some cases it really doesn't seem believable. [There's also the fact that on a snowy landscape the "humans" who leave wolf-shaped tracks tend to stand out a bit {wry grin}.] But if you accept the premise, the wolves' struggle has a certain poignancy...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Granite Town Rail Trail (see notes) in Milford, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (9/12/2017 UTC) at Granite Town Rail Trail (see notes) in Milford, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book on a boulder at the Armory St. trailhead; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 September Sapphire release challenge. ***