corner corner Travelling to Infinity: The True Story Behind the Theory of Everything

Travelling to Infinity: The True Story Behind the Theory of Everything
by Jane Hawking | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 9/8/2017

status (set by Nu-Knees): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 08, 2017

My sister-in-law, whom we recently visited in Plymouth, has a small collection of books she's using to raise funds for her choir's current charity, supporting sick children locally. I was pleased to make a donation for this one as I aim to read at least two nonfictions a month so am always on the look-out for interesting possibilities and because Stephen Hawking is such a fascinating icon of our times!

Amazon Editorial Review: "In this compelling memoir, Jane Hawking, Stephen Hawking's first wife, relates the inside story of their extraordinary marriage. As Stephen's academic renown soared, his body was collapsing under the assaults of motor-neuron disease, and Jane's candid account of trying to balance his twenty-four-hour care with the needs of their growing family will be inspirational to anyone dealing with family illness. The inner strength of the author and the self-evident character and achievements of her husband make for an incredible tale that is always presented with unflinching honesty; the author's candour is no less evident when the marriage finally ends in a high-profile meltdown, with Stephen leaving Jane for one of his nurses, while Jane goes on to marry an old family friend.
In this exceptionally open, moving and often funny memoir, Jane Hawking confronts not only the acutely complicated and painful dilemmas of her first marriage, but also the fault lines exposed in a relationship by the pervasive effects of fame and wealth. The result is a book about optimism, love and change that will resonate with readers everywhere."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 04, 2017

It's become a cliche that rich and famous celebrities discard the wives of their youthful struggles in favour of new and improved versions - and that the replacements may not last as long . . . . it's disappointing to read how genius is no protection against the flattery of the media circus . . . .
He's a genius. He's not like other people. Even without his disability he couldn't be expect to act like the rest of us. He lives by different rules . . . I'm afraid these sorts of excuses wear a bit thin after a while . . . and I lost patience, despite the author's unfailing loyalty and devotion to her subject!
This isn't something I would have been drawn to in a bookshop. It came my way and I read it - but I'm not sure why I bothered. It's well-written and interesting, I like her writing style, but also decidedly irritating!