A Tale Of Two Cities (Watermill Classics)

by Charles Dickens | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/6/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 06, 2017
This is one of my favorite Dickens novels (though I have several other "favorites"!), so I was glad to find this fair-condition paperback at the Lucky Dog thrift shop for another release copy.

I admit that I first enjoyed the tale via the 1935 film adaptation starring Ronald Colman, seen in reruns on TV. There have, of course, been many other adaptations for film and TV, some of them quite good, but I have a fondness for this one. As I recall, it's fairly faithful to the material, though with some subplots abridged or omitted, and the performances are lovely...

The story itself is a mix of (often dark) humor and horror, romance and heartbreak - a bit of a one-off for Dickens, too, as he usually stuck to domestic issues set in his own time rather than attempting historical fiction.

[For some entertaining comments on the book and adaptations, see the TV Tropes page, but beware of spoilers; most are masked, but not all.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 19 Lafayette Ave. in Hingham, Massachusetts USA on Monday, September 11, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (9/11/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library, 19 Lafayette Ave. in Hingham, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this beautiful afternoon. Hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2017 Movie release challenge. ***