The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane

by Lisa See | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ComradeCamper of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin USA on 9/2/2017
Journal Entry 1 by ComradeCamper from Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, September 02, 2017
The title and the book's cover art intrigued me. Then I realized this novel was written by the same author as Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, so I got it for a BookCrossing wild release.
This book offers glimpses into the world of 19th century Chinese tea farmers. Li-yan leaves traditional rituals and patterns of rural life for education and independence in a city. But every choice has consequences, and Li-yan pays a price for the decisions she has made.

Journal Entry 2 by ComradeCamper at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/12/2017 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Sent to booklady331 with best wishes. It's a book that was near the top of her wishlist, and I figure anyone in the state of Florida could use a little cheering up right now.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, September 18, 2017
Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for this wish list book. I love Lisa See. She is one of my favorite authors. I have read almost all her books. You did cheer me up.

Love the post cards and a glimpse into Wisconsin.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, January 29, 2018
The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane follows the life of Li-yan, a member of the Akha hill tribe whose way of life is still tied to the land. Growing up picking tea leaves each season with her family and living without electricity or running water in a hut made on bamboo stilts, Li-yan’s life is different from the modern world of the late 1980’s. Set to follow in her mother’s path as a midwife, Li-yan struggles to accept her path and works hard in school hoping to be the first in her village to qualify for upper level schooling that would open up other possibilities. Fate intervenes and her life changes. She is successful after some trials. Years later, across the globe, a young Chinese girl adopted by Americans wonders at her roots and the special tea cake that was wrapped in her blankets when she was left at the orphanage. Who was her mother and what is the significance of this tea cake?
I struggled to get into this book, which is not what happens when I read Lisa See. I found the book interesting in parts, but not compelling. I can see the author writing a sequel as the story was left with the reader wanting a couple more chapters to bring conclusion to the story.

Reserved for ABC VBB