When Breath Becomes Air

Registered by wingstormysweetiewing of Tucson, Arizona USA on 8/26/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingstormysweetiewing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Saturday, August 26, 2017
Thanks for picking up this book. Please write a journal entry to let me know where it ended up, and I'd love to hear what you thought of this book when you had a chance to read it.

If you are new to Bookcrossing, then welcome! You've found a great community of people who share a love of books and reading. There's a lot of information on this website about how to join, and what to do to pass along your books so that you too can follow their journey around the world. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a private message through my profile (click where you see my name, stormysweetie, and it should bring you to my profile). Thanks for joining!

Journal Entry 2 by wingstormysweetiewing at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, August 26, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (8/26/2017 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Bringing this to the bookcrossing meetup at Panera in Porter Square

Journal Entry 3 by haahaahaa98 at USPS in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (8/20/2019 UTC) at USPS in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Will likely put in an intentional bookbox of variety. Here are some notes I wrote on goodreads upon finishing:

When Breath Becomes AirWhen Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A very effective rumination on what happens when you are becoming a master of your profession, a rising star in the world of neurosurgery, and then you become diagnosed with lung cancer, transforming you immediately from doctor to patient.

Kalanithi's perspectives are well-thought-out, mature, and richly sensitive. The best part of the book is the middle 1/3, where he relates a bunch of anecdotes of encounters with patients, inside stories of the training process between older mentor doctors and their younger trainees, and the grueling process of internship, residency, and fellowship. At the cusp of the discussion is how he stresses the importance of treating patients humanly, not merely boxes to be checked off.

Kalanithi's attitudes to his work, his life, and the ethics by which he lived his life, are an inspiration to us all.

The parts I would edit out are the parts where he gives himself high praise for his academic achievements. While indeed it is very sad that the world lost out on a brilliant mind and surgeon, at times the tone of the writing comes off as over(t)ly privileged, as if the lives of others less brilliant or less successful, who have received cancer diagnoses, aren't equally important. Kalanithi doesn't explicitly say this, but he does explicitly stress how his "future [he] had imagined, the one just about to be realized, the culmination of decades of striving, [was about to] evaporate[]."

Lucy, Paul's wife, writes a sweet afterword, commenting on what it means to honor a marriage, a person, and a family, after a spouse passes.

Journal Entry 4 by haahaahaa98 at USPS in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, September 02, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (9/2/2019 UTC) at USPS in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Released as part of an Intentional bookbox bookring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by haahaahaa98 at USPS in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, October 05, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (10/5/2019 UTC) at USPS in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Part of Intentional Bookbox Bookring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingadrienne10wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, October 31, 2019
This was on my wishlist so I was thrilled to find it in the Intentional Bookbox #3. I will be adding this to my reading pile. I also know of three other active bookcrossers wishing for this book, so I will try to pass it along soon.