The Birdwatcher

by William Shaw | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 11/8/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 08, 2017
A methodical, diligent, and exceptionally bright detective, South is an avid birdwatcher and trusted figure in his small town on the rugged Kentish coast. He also lives with the deeply buried secret that, as a child in Northern Ireland, he may have killed a man. When a fellow birdwatcher is found murdered in his remote home, South's world flips.

The culprit seems to be a drifter from South's childhood; the victim was the only person connecting South to his early crime; and a troubled, vivacious new female sergeant has been relocated from London and assigned to work with South. As our hero investigates, he must work ever-harder to keep his own connections to the victim, and his past, a secret.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 27, 2018
There were two reasons why William South did not want to be on the murder team.

The first was that it was October. The migrating birds had begun arriving on the coast.

The second was that, though nobody knew, he was a murderer himself.

So Sergeant South..yes he's a policeman...is a murderer eh? So where, when & how did this turn of events occur? The "when" is while South was young & while it's obvious (well it was to me) who the victim would turnout to be, I couldn't sure whether the young Billy had actually done the deed or fust thought he was guilty of it & I was kept interested as the pieces began to fall into place until the truth finally was revealed/confirmed. As to whether he was guilty or not, you'll need to read it for yourself...

Otherwise...new to the area, DS Cupidi needs South's local knowledge on her first case in her new role, so he finds himself unwillingly drawn into the murder investigation of a friend & neighbour.
The current inquiry seems to have connections with South's past, hence the events of young Billy's youth being slowly revealed with the two stories running well side by side. The association between the two colleagues is an interesting one - South doesn't know where he stands with the new DS, as after initially being quite friendly she turns cold on him but what is this change of heart down to? Of course, Cupini has the almost compulsory problem teen but at least Zoe is not the stereotypical teen of many stories & I liked her attitude & backchat. The burgeoning relationship between her & South is certainly an intriguing one.

I thought this novel a bit deceptive, maybe it's the thought of the patience that birdwatching requires that made me think this would be a more plodding on-the-cosy-side mystery & while it isn't an action packed story - though it does have its gritty, even gory, moments - it moves at a steady pace & certainly isn't slow, keeping the reader on their toes with the connections between various characters, as well as being credible.

While this is billed as a stand-alone it is in fact the first in the "DS Cupini" series but I do hope South features in the next episode too. Cupini has the potential to develop into a strong character I think I'll continue to enjoy but it's South's unlikely friendship with Zoe that I really want to see progress further.