Killing Kate

by Alex Lake | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 000819971X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 9/30/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 30, 2017

A serial killer is stalking your hometown. He has a type: all his victims look the same. And they all look like you.

Kate returns from a post-break-up holiday with her girlfriends to news of a serial killer in her hometown - and his victims all look like her.

It could, of course, be a simple coincidence. Or maybe not. She becomes convinced she is being watched, followed even. Is she next? And could her mild-mannered ex-boyfriend really be a deranged murderer? Or is the truth something far more sinister?

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 19, 2017
There was something lacking in this book that stopped it being the "nail-biting psychological thriller" that the back cover promised. It was an easy read & I think that this detracted from the suspense, although to be honest the suspense was a bit thin on the ground anyhow. The one "twist" is easily picked up on quite early on & what happened to Beth will come as no surprise either. I didn't like the characters (I never warmed to Kate) & didn't find a lot of their actions particularly credible in the given situations, especially towards the end. As to the conclusion, well for me I'd have skipped the "One Year Later" finale...despite the fact that it did give me a sense of satisfaction (I think I'd feel that way!)

The only thing that kept me hooked was whether ex-boyfriend Phil was going to turn out to be a serial killer or not. While I had my doubts, it kept niggling at me that it could be a bluff...or an elaborate double bluff even, still I'm not going to reveal any further details here ;o)

Not a very positive review it would seem & yet I still found myself reading it into the wee hours, continually saying "just one more chapter" - how lucky they were short ones!
Certainly not one of the better thrillers I've read this year but one which I did find strangely compelling.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Animal Charity shop in Minehead, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, September 28, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (9/28/2018 UTC) at Animal Charity shop in Minehead, Somerset United Kingdom

Intended to swap/leave this at a Telephone Box Exchange while holidaying in Cornwall & Devon. As it didn't get left, it was donated to this charity rather than taking it home again.

Released as part of the 2018 SEPTEMBER SAPPHIRE CHALLENGE (#69)

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Congratulations - You've found a travelling book !

You can help us to track this book's travels by taking a moment to make a journal entry - let us know where you found it, what you thought of it or where it's going next - write as much or as little as you like! You can remain anonymous or why not join us? If you decide to join us you will receive an alert every time someone new journals the book, helping you to follow it's travels as it meets new readers.

Enjoy the book!

(If you do decide to join Bookcrossing, please consider putting me,
Plum-crazy, as your referring member - thank you)