corner corner Wandering Son (Book 1)

Wandering Son (Book 1)
by Shimura Takako | Graphic Novels
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 8/20/2017

status (set by emmejo): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, August 20, 2017

This is not an ordinary book: it's a BookCrossing book! BookCrossing books are world travelers - they like to have adventures and make new friends...and every once in a while they even write home to say what they've been doing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Mail order purchase. Hardcover with no dust jacket, unflipped. Translated by Matt Thorn.

Shuichi Nitori and his friend Yoshino Takatsuki are in the fifth grade and they have something in common: neither one feels comfortable the way they are. Their families don't know it yet, but Shu wants to be a girl, and Yoshino wants to be a boy.

I found the translator's notes at the end interesting.

Reserved for possible inclusion in emmejo's LGBTQ+ bookbox

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (10/16/2017 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Monday, October 16, 2017: I had too many books for the box, so this one is headed out as a wishlist surprise instead.

Released for Secretariat's 2017 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover Challenge (week 41: translations).

USPS tracking # 9549 0104 3301 7289 2360 68
ETA 11/06/2017

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let this book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

(Think of it like Where's George for books: a little like geocaching or a treasure hunt - you can follow a registered book's journey every time someone makes a new entry. Some BookCrossers even leave books *in* geocaches!)

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 3 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, November 09, 2017

Thank you so much! This was a very unexpected surprise!

Journal Entry 4 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, December 08, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and read it all in one sitting. I haven't encountered too many books that depict trans children exploring their identity, and I think the manga format makes it more accessible to some readers.

I had also somehow missed in reviews that one of the first times the two main characters get to present as they would like is during a school play of The Rose of Versailles. I'm fond of the anime adaptation and have cosplayed as Oscar myself (photo attached!), so I was delighted to find a reference to others exploring gender through the lens of an old, lesser-known franchise!

My main quibble with this volume is that I was having trouble telling some of the characters apart, even with the little chart at the beginning. Several times I ended up flipping back to double-check who someone was and what their relationships to our main characters were.

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, February 22, 2018

Released 5 hrs ago (2/22/2018 5:00 PM UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA