Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy)

by Blake Crouch | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/19/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, August 19, 2017
I got this fair-condition softcover at a local thrift shop, attracted by the moody cover-art. Turns out it's the novel that inspired the Wayward Pines TV series - and while I haven't been drawn in to the series, I'll still give the book a try.

Later: I really enjoyed this, with its moody, creepy, paranoid feel - elements of The Stepford Wives and "Twin Peaks" and several "Twilight Zone" episodes, but with its own twists and turns. Secret Service Agent Ethan Burke has been in a car accident, is clearly injured - and (at first) can't remember who he is or where, never mind what's happened. He has splitting headaches (the descriptions of which made me cringe) and feelings of inexplicable dread, and all in all things don't seem to be going well for him...

Once he begins to remember, it - doesn't help much: his identification and money are missing, and the locals don't seem motivated to help him out, other than the (logical) suggestion that he take his battered self back to the hospital, but he stubbornly insists on staggering around in search of answers. And, slowly and eerily, he begins to find some - but they aren't at all what he could expect.

I don't want to say too much about the story because the surprise factor was part of the fun, with me trying to deduce things from the viewpoint of the characters as well as in meta form as a reader: what kind of plot twist are we going for here? (I was wrong {wry grin}.)

There are some changes of viewpoint in the story that, at first, seem poignant - then add complexity and weirdness, and eventually a thundering big "WHAT???" from me - but I can't say why, because spoilers. But while I may have questioned some of the motives and mechanics, I thoroughly enjoyed Ethan's grueling treks and the gradual revelations.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the TV series, with some references to the books.]

Released 1 yr ago (8/21/2017 UTC) at Bryant Lane (see notes for details) in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book, bagged against the elements, on a bench along the trails in the conservation land off of Bryant, opposite the public library. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2017 One Word Title release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2017 TV Series release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by MakeKnit at Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA on Monday, May 21, 2018
I picked up this book in the woods, about the woods. Who wouldn't be intrigued? I felt a bit guilty, since I have tons of books to read, but finally sat down to read this fast-paced thriller. There was a point when I thought Agent Ethan Burke was being excessively man-handled by the author, but I shouldered on through. I was surprised by the ending and since I watch no television, I could not possibly imagine how all the loose ends would be tied in together. But it works. And it was a quick read, which is exactly what I was looking for when I picked it up. Now to find a place to pass it on...