Attack on Titan 22

by Hajime Isayama | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/18/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 18, 2017
I got this softcover at Barnes and Noble. I've enjoyed some of the manga series, starting with Volume 1, and the anime series as well; now I'm curious to see where our heroes have gotten in the manga story.

Turns out a LOT of stuff has been revealed by this point, much of it from documents left behind by Eren's father, and now in the hands of Eren and company. We get to see excerpts from these, and flashbacks as well, showing how Eren's father acquired that knowledge - and at what horrible cost...

There are some unusual twists here, including a scene in which it appears that Eren's father, in his youth, is somehow hearing the far-future memories of his son; not sure what that means in the context of the whole "Titans" thing!

While that past history is the most significant part of the story, another subplot is touched on, one that closely affects the main characters; it has to do with Armin's fate in a previous volume, and the fallout of the decisions made at that time, sacrificing one highly-valued Corps member to save another...

The art style is as scratchy/sketchy as always, which actually helped a bit in mitigating the shock of the more explicit scenes of torture. (The things the Titans do to people are horrible, but they're mostly mindless; the things humans do to each other are even worse.)

[There's a TV Tropes page on the manga and the various adaptations and spinoffs, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Heritage Rail Trail in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, September 18, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/18/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library, Heritage Rail Trail in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this in the Little Free Library on this overcast afternoon; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 September Sapphire release challenge. ***