corner corner Unbroken

Unbroken
by Laura Hillenbrand | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingShahrunwing of Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on 8/17/2017

status (set by daffodil-2): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingShahrunwing from Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2017

Recently enjoyed the film. Really looking forward to reading this one. Most likely read and release.

Journal Entry 2 by wingShahrunwing at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Totally fascinating, extraordinary, mind blowing read. I was completely absorbed from the first page to the last. The author did an astounding amount of research and it really shows. She also connects all the facts in a highly readable narrative. I’m guessing most people (like myself) discovered this book after watching the film - which was amazing - and were wondering how much was true. All of it and then some! I struggle to comprehend what the POWs endured and survived! There were many extremely uncomfortable, traumatic parts to this story. But also quite a few laugh out loud moments and many uplifting ones. I would have really enjoyed a chat with Louis. The stories he could tell (of all the mischief he got up to!). I will take a lot away from reading this book.

Journal Entry 3 by wingShahrunwing at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Released 4 wks ago (7/18/2018 UTC) at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom

Posting this off to a fellow BookCrosser to grant a wish from her list.

Journal Entry 4 by daffodil-2 at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, July 20, 2018

Received in the post today from Shahrun. Thanks very much. I look forward to reading it soon.

Journal Entry 5 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 14, 2018

REVIEW:- "I found some of the earlier part of this book rather hard-going but it soon became more interesting after the plane-crash-this is not a spoiler as the Prologue mentions it. I was horrified by the brutality with which the Prisoners of War were treated and I couldn't believe how much Louie and his companions had to bear before the end of the war.
It brought me to tears to read of the dignified way in which the POWs finally left the camps and to hear of the dreadful PTSD suffered afterwards by so many of the men.

All in all it was an extremely harrowing account, some of which I had to skim over as it upset me so much. I was glad but slightly surprised, that Louie finally found peace through religion with the help of evangelist Billy Graham. I definitely need something lighter to read next."

I'm reserving the book for my husband in the first instance and then for Snoopy56.