Hurray! The Bookplate Creator is back!
We've been promising it for a long time, and now it's finally here... We have a brand new Bookplate creator. Read all about it in this Announcement forum post!

The Accursed

by Joyce Carol Oates | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 000749422X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 9/26/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, September 26, 2017
The Accursed
Author: Joyce Carol Oates

A major historical novel from "one of the great artistic forces of our time" (The Nation)--an eerie, unforgettable story of possession, power, and loss in early-twentieth-century Princeton, a cultural crossroads of the powerful and the damned Princeton, New Jersey, at the turn of the twentieth century: a tranquil place to raise a family, a genteel town for genteel souls. But something dark and dangerous lurks at the edges of the town, corrupting and infecting its residents. Vampires and ghosts haunt the dreams of the innocent. A powerful curse besets the elite families of Princeton; their daughters begin disappearing. A young bride on the verge of the altar is seduced and abducted by a dangerously compelling man?a shape-shifting, vaguely European prince who might just be the devil, and who spreads his curse upon a richly deserving community of white Anglo-Saxon privilege. And in the Pine Barrens that border the town, a lush and terrifying underworld opens up. When the bride's brother sets out against all odds to find her, his path will cross those of Princeton's most formidable people, from Grover Cleveland, fresh out of his second term in the White House and retired to town for a quieter life, to soon-to-be commander in chief Woodrow Wilson, president of the university and a complex individual obsessed to the point of madness with his need to retain power; from the young Socialist idealist Upton Sinclair to his charismatic comrade Jack London, and the most famous writer of the era, Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain--all plagued by "accursed" visions. An utterly fresh work from Oates, The Accursed marks new territory for the masterful writer. Narrated with her unmistakable psychological insight, it combines beautifully transporting historical detail with chilling supernatural elements to stunning effect.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, September 27, 2022
This was a very different and strange novel from Oates. THE ACCURSED is set in the town of Princeton, New Jersey in 1905-1906. There is a lot of the supernatural in the novel including specters, ghosts, and shape-shifting vampires. At the root of the story is the Slade family that is "accursed" for some unknown reason. Winslow Slade is the patriarch of the family, a Presbyterian minister and former governor of New Jersey. He dotes on his grandchildren especially Annabel who is about to be married. But on her wedding day she is abducted by a man who is not what he appears to be. But is she abducted or did she go with him willingly? There are other atrocities throughout the novel including murders but the heart of the novel is not really the horrors of the curse but the oppressors of the American ruling class. A lynching of a black brother and sister occurs in nearby Camden; women are oppressed and cannot vote; non-whites are not permitted to enroll at Princeton University; the working class has little rights and work at slave wages; and children are also forced to work 14 hour days.

The novel includes several historical figures from the time including Woodrow Wilson, who is then president of Princeton University; Upton Sinclair, who is just getting fame for his novel The Jungle; former President Grover Cleveland; Teddy Roosevelt; Jack London; Mark Twain; and even Sherlock Holmes puts in an appearance. Upton Sinclair is a socialist and also a prolific writer who wants to make life better for the working class. He admires Jack London, another socialist, and wants him to head his society. But Sinclair is disillusioned with London after meeting him in New York. London turns out to be a loud obnoxious brawler who likes his drink more than the ideals of Sinclair. Wilson is also very flawed. He takes no action on the lynching that happened nearby, he believes in segregation and wants to keep blacks out of Princeton, and he has an affair with another woman. Roosevelt and Twain are also not shown in the best of light.

This was a long novel at over 600 pages and it was sometimes difficult to read but I did find it compelling and I enjoyed Oates look at the historical figures included in the story. I have read several Oates novels and collections of stories and I have not been disappointed in them. I'm sure I will be reading more. Based on this one, I also want to read more about Jack London, Sinclair, Wilson, and Roosevelt. I did read The Jungle several years ago and I know Sinclair was aiming it at the deplorable working conditions of the men in the packing houses of Chicago but it is better known for its role in the enactment of the Federal Meat Inspection Act.

Released 1 mo ago (9/28/2022 UTC) at Bookmooch.com in -- BookMooch.com, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent to a Bookmooch member in MO. Enjoy!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. If you are new to BookCrossing, please consider joining and indicate that you were referred by perryfran. I hope that you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you are done reading.

Then, whenever you are ready to send it on its way, make a release note to show where the book was released. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

I hope that you will enjoy the BookCrossing experience!