corner corner MachoPoni: A Prance with Death

MachoPoni: A Prance with Death
by Lotus Rose | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/15/2017

status (set by AlterEgoZoe): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 15, 2017

I got this good-condition softcover from Better World Books. It's a Bizarro Fiction take on the "My Little Pony" franchise, with contributions from the "Care Bears" and other '80s characters.

I've read a good deal of bizarro fiction, and this one - at least in the beginning - seemed pretty tame. Oh, sure, the division between the Pastel Kingdom of technicolor ponies and the Dark Kingdom full of undead, monochrome ponies inspired some creepy scenes, but the childlike storytelling and the relatively low-drama plots felt almost soothing. Machoponi, who's very good at making impulsive, rash decisions, has fun testing the boundaries by kicking his prized blue bouncy ball across the line and then darting over to retrieve it, even though being in the Dark Kingdom for even a few moments will make him ill for days afterward. But he just has to show off, especially when cute Dust is around... though it's clear to the reader that Dust really isn't into him, despite the occasional flirtation. This will not end well {wry grin}.

I found the bickering ponies amusing, and when events escalated and Machoponi had to undertake a quest into the depths of the Dark Kingdom to rescue his beloved Dust, his adventures get more and more entertaining. And bloody, though the narrative doesn't get too explicit about that. His encounter with the Cuddlebears (formerly Care Bears, but on the dark side they've grown quills and have a tendency to stab anyone they can reach, including each other), with the Flutterfly Ponies (winged, but cursed to be unable to fly), and with the Kool- er, I mean, the Chill-Ade man (a giant living pitcher full of liquid), all build into a nicely bizarre take on those traditional quest stories - but with twists. In the traditional tales, the traveler befriends strange creatures along the way and they help with the quest; that kinda-sorta happens here, but in nicely warped ways.

Definitely on the "lite" side for a bizarro tale, but not without its charms.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 20, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (11/20/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this book to BCer AlterEgoZoe in Pennsylvania, for the US/Canada wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

*** Released for the 2017 E-less release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, November 24, 2017

I was very surprised when received this in the mail today!

In any case-thank you gory for thinking of me and I’ll give the book a try (books you like I generally like, though I’m a little wary of the mlp theming).