Lovecraft Country: A Novel

by matt ruff | Horror |
ISBN: 0062292072 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/15/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 15, 2017
I got this good-condition softcover from Better World Books. Set in 1954, it pits an African-American family against cultists with a suspiciously Lovecraftian tone, but demonstrates how ordinary human cruelty might be worse than that of eldritch horrors. The main characters have become used to the risks they run in every aspect of life - indeed, part of the story centers on the research for a (fictional, but based on a real-life work) Safe Negro Travel Guide that reveals which communities and individual businesses are friendly and which are to be avoided at all costs. We get to see some of the gross unfairness or downright viciousness of the racists at large, which makes the affable head of the cult seem downright friendly...

The author depicts the time and place in a believable fashion, while paying homage to an assortment of pulp SF and horror. (One of the main characters is a fan of the genres, and sometimes struggles to merge his appreciation for the works of, say, Lovecraft with the knowledge that Lovecraft was pretty darned racist himself.)

The plots of each section - loosely-linked tales in which different characters get to shine - each give a nod to a different classic, from the arcane-ritual to the haunted/possessed/devil-house [this one gets turned on its head in delightful fashion when the house's new owner sasses the ghost right back - and eventually cuts a deal with it] to the sexy demon-lover to the final confrontation with the Big Boss. There are marvelous scenes here, from wildly creepy and otherworldly to snappy action to snarky humor - and the way the main characters work together (not always cheerfully) is very satisfying.

This edition has bonus material including a conversation with the author about the origins of the book - worth reading too.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, August 27, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (8/27/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

Gave this to my sister, visiting from New York; enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Connecticut Welcome Center (rest area) in Danbury, Connecticut USA on Sunday, October 08, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (10/8/2017 UTC) at Connecticut Welcome Center (rest area) in Danbury, Connecticut USA

My sister gave this back to me while I was in New York for a visit, so I dropped it off (bagged against the rain) at this welcome center this morning. The photo shows a swan in a lovely pond down below the rest stop area. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

*** Released for the 2017 Spooktacular October release challenge. ***