After the Fall

by Charity Norman | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by kinedi of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 8/14/2017
Journal Entry 1 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, August 14, 2017
In the quiet of a New Zealand winter's night, a rescue helicopter is sent to airlift a five-year-old boy with severe internal injuries. He's fallen from the upstairs veranda of an isolated farmhouse, and his condition is critical. At first, Finn's fall looks like a horrible accident; after all, he's prone to sleepwalking. Only his frantic mother, Martha McNamara, knows how it happened. And she isn't telling. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

Tragedy isn't what the McNamara family expected when they moved to New Zealand. For Martha, it was an escape. For her artist husband Kit, it was a dream. For their small twin boys, it was an adventure. For sixteen-year-old Sacha, it was the start of a nightmare.

They end up on the isolated east coast of the North Island, seemingly in the middle of a New Zealand tourism campaign. But their peaceful idyll is soon shattered as the choices Sacha makes lead the family down a path which threatens to destroy them all.

Martha finds herself facing a series of impossible decisions, each with devastating consequences for her family.

Journal Entry 2 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Indeed a very gripping read and a page turner from the first to the last page. I enjoyed the setting in rural New Zealand and the insight into Maori culture and legends but really, the book is about the McNamara family who emigrated from England to New Zealand to start afresh. It's not paradise and there a lot of ghosts in the closet which all come out when wee Finn falls off the balcony and nothing is as it first seems. I won't spoil how it all ends but my only criticism is that perhaps the author added too many plot lines (ie too many people with too many issues which was not really necessary). Still a great pageturner which I read in 2 days flat.

Journal Entry 3 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (5/8/2018 UTC) at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing.

Thank you for catching this book! I hope that you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It is free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world!

Please feel free to keep this book for as long as you wish, and whenever you're ready, pass it on. Then watch its journey - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes a new journal entry. It's all confidential, free and fun (and addictive - but in a GOOD way)!

You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join the site, I hope that you will consider using me, kinedi, as the one who referred you.

Congratulations on finding a Bookcrossing book and Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 13, 2018
Taken from kinedi's "Female Authors" bookbox :o)

Journal Entry 5 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 13, 2019
This is an engrossing read about a family who up & move to the otherside of the world & what happens when their new life in paradise turns sour.

As is so often the way, it’s told in two parts which compliment each other nicely. Starting with the immediate aftermath of the fall & being interspersed with Martha’s memories of the events leading up to it. It’s very readable, the easy style matched with the gripping storyline had me well & truly sucked in - the combination of knowing what’s going to happen but not how or why made for compelling reading… I needed to know!

”A series of choices….Martha thinks ”A left turn, a right turn & a wrong turn” & she certainly makes one or two questionable choices. Lying to the police for example re Finn’s accident… but why? Another incentive to keep reading! There seems to be quite a few things that family members are keeping from each other.

I don’t want to give anything away about the culprit. The signs are there, I picked up on them but as I was “looking” at things through Martha’s eyes I disregarded them too. It’s a shocker for Martha when the rose-tinted glasses finally fall from her eyes….what a situation to be in. How does a family stay together after something like that.

Overall, a captivating page turner about a family in crisis, the strength of a mother’s love & the ability to forgive.

Journal Entry 6 by wingPlum-crazywing at Wishlist RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (1/14/2019 UTC) at Wishlist RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by Nataliec7 at Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 16, 2019
Thanks Plum for this book. A lovely surprise package that really cheered up my day.