corner corner Quarantine: A Novel

Quarantine: A Novel
by Jim Crace | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/7/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 07, 2017

I got this fair-condition softcover from the charity-sale books at Hannaford's, for another release copy.

For a very free interpretation of "Jesus in the wilderness", it was interesting. The focus was on other characters, with Jesus depicted as one of several individuals seeking a remote place in which to fast and pray, each with different motives. Due to a combination of circumstances, Jesus winds up (apparently) healing a fatally-ill individual, apparently without being aware that he's done it; he then wanders off to start his own fasting, seeking an isolated cave on a hill face where others can't easily reach it. The healed man - who's a total bastard, and whose much-abused wife is not pleased to find him alive - wants to find the miracle worker; in the meantime he begins to build a little domain of his own where he's the boss and the pilgrims are his serfs.

The back stories of each of the characters reveal details of economic and social strictures of the time, some of them in a way I hadn't thought of before. Very few of the characters are very sympathetic, and even Jesus - as shown here - seems more like a dreamy, addled adolescent than anything else... An unexpected story, if not what I'd consider a satisfying one.

[I've been intrigued by some of Crace's other work, including Being Dead and The Devil's Larder.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Visitors Center on I-95 in Seabrook, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (8/8/2017 UTC) at Visitors Center on I-95 in Seabrook, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a window ledge inside the welcome center this afternoon; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 One Word Title release challenge. ***