The Mist in the Mirror

I'm not lost!
by Susan Hill | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingmcsarwing of Richmond, British Columbia Canada on 3/27/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingmcsarwing from Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, March 27, 2018
A haunting atmospheric tale. I enjoyed it and sometimes had to stop reading at night because I did not want my imagination to run wild. I wished the ending explains things more. All in all, a good read.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmcsarwing at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 06, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/6/2018 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Going to GoryDetails as a wishlist tag. I hope you enjoy this as much as you enjoy other Hill's novels.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, April 11, 2018
The book arrived safely today - many thanks!

Later: Hill does seem to go for the subtle horror and the ambiguous endings - which can be effective, if frustrating for the reader. I liked the buildup here, with the ghostly youth popping up at odd moments, and the unnerving and atmospheric experiences of our protagonist when his senses seem to mislead him. The back story about the fatally charismatic Conrad Vane was enticing - but became frustrating by the conclusion; while I can enjoy some things being unresolved, I didn't find this ending very satisfying. I think this had more to do with the protagonist/narrator, whose memory problems and personality combined to make him hard to like... But the feeling of something-wrong-in-the-dark was conveyed beautifully in several scenes, for a good shivery effect.

Released 1 yr ago (4/21/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Chopmist Hill Senior Center in Scituate, Rhode Island USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library at the senior center while on a book-release road-trip in honor of International BookCrossing Day. Hope someone enjoys the book!

(For those on Facebook, see the International BookCrossing Day event.)

[See other recent releases in RI here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***