A Country of Our Own: The Confederation Diary of Rosie Dunn (Dear Canada)

by Karleen Bradford | History | This book has not been rated.
Registered by JessicaEby of Cambridge, Ontario Canada on 8/4/2017
Journal Entry 1 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 04, 2017
I bought this book at a charity shop in my neighbouring city of Kitchener, Ontario. I have read and bookcrossed a number of Dear Canada books-- many of them this year-- but I've never seen this one before.

In celebration of the sesquicentennial this year, I have dedicated my bookcrossing activity to the reading and sharing of Canadian stories. I am registering this book as part of my Canada 150 project-- seems fitting to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation with the Confederation diary!

Journal Entry 2 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 08, 2017
I've been travelling a lot this past month-- I've been away more than I've been home-- and I haven't had a lot of time for reading, but last night I finished reading this book. I thought it was kind of neat that I finished it on September 7 as it's one of the important dates in the story of our quest for nationhood.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this book. I thought that it was well-written and I thought that the author did a good job of not stating her own opinion as fact/showing her own biases, which is an issue I have had with some books in this series. I have read a few by this particular author now, and I think that, overall, this one was my favourite of hers. I found the photographs at the end especially interesting. I have always known that Ottawa was a muddy little lumber town when it became our capital, but it was interesting to see actual photos of pigs in the streets, log buildings everywhere, and the Parliament Buildings without the Peace Tower!

Journal Entry 3 by JessicaEby at Confederation Park in Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 05, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/5/2018 UTC) at Confederation Park in Ottawa, Ontario Canada

My husband and I are in town for the long weekend. We're staying right downtown tonight and we decided to go out for a late night walk. We found our way to Confederation Park, which I thought seemed like a good place to leave the Confederation Diary. I left it on a bench by the fountain, right next to one of the paths, in the glow of a streetlamp.

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to bookcrossing, welcome. We'd love it if you'd stick around with us a while. I really hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience!

This book was released as part of the 2018 "52 Towns in 52 Weeks" Release Challenge. Ottawa was Town #32 for me!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 13, 2018
I found this book in Ottawa and am leaving it at Pere-Lachaisse cemetery in Paris.