Life of Pi - bookring

by Yann Martel | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ermintrude75 of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 3/19/2004
Journal Entry 1 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, March 19, 2004
I had to buy a book to kill time at Athens airport, and was shocked at the price (12 Euros!). Well, Life of Pi is worth every last Euro-cent. Fascinating and thought provoking, believably written (as much as a story about a young boy and a tiger in a lifeboat can be) and a really enjoyable read. You feel the hope and the despair and the determination along with Pi. A true original.

Journal Entry 2 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 23, 2004
I'm sending this out on a bookring... seemingly a short one, as I guess many people have already read it :) Once it gets back to me and I get chance for another read, it's off into the wild!

Recipients:
sueb4 (UK)
ziggythecat (UK)
quizgirl (UK)
Anfield (UK)
wandering (Netherlands)
rainbow3 (UK)
Mickeylove (UK) (current holder)
novasoy (USA)
nut (Ireland)

Journal Entry 3 by sueb4 from Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 31, 2004
This is definately a 'just one more chapter before I put it down' book. An enjoyable read and don't be suprised if you find yourself joining Pi on the highs and lows of his journey

Journal Entry 4 by ziggythecat from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 03, 2004
Arrived this morning, thanks sueb4 for sending it, been looking forward to reading this one. Only had time for the 'Author's Note' so far but already intrigued.

Journal Entry 5 by ziggythecat from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 05, 2004
A very enjoyable read, particularly the last few chapters.

The symbolism certainly made me think (an unsual experience, lol.) Turn away now if you've not read it .............. but does anybody want to share what they thought the meerkats were about. I have some vague thoughts but am interested in what they meant to others.

Sorry its a bit delayed being sent on - I took it away with me over Easter & dh read it and enjoyed it, then my father-in-law picked it up the day we were leaving & after a few pages was drawn in (he normally reads travel/ autobiography/non-fiction but not novels). Anyway it should be with quizgirl in a day or two now.

Journal Entry 6 by quizgirl from Chesterfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 06, 2004
Arrived this morning, thanks to ziggythecat.
Have only read the authors note so far.

Journal Entry 7 by quizgirl from Chesterfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 20, 2004
Reading the first part of this book I wondered exactly where it was heading, but it does give a lot of information which comes into play as you read part two.
Part two with Pi adrift in a lifeboat with a tiger for company was believable until the part where he finds the island populated with meerkats.
Like ziggythecat I am puzzled by this; maybe by this time, having been at sea for so long with inadequate nutrition, he was hallucinating.
The last part with the two Japanese investigators not believing the story Pi tells them but preferring the version he makes up is quite amusing.
Yann Martel, in his author's note claims the story will make you believe in God. I am not quite sure what he means by this and prefer the quote from the New York Times Book Review which says: 'Life of Pi' could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life.

Thanks to ermintrude75

Shipping to Anfield tomorrow

Journal Entry 8 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, May 22, 2004
Received in the post today, thank you!

Journal Entry 9 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, June 25, 2004
Well, what a a book .....
Firstly, the writing was excellent, a great turn of phrase, descriptive and flowing. As to the subject matter, it was different, and stomach churning in places but pretty rivetting too! Thank you Ermintrude75 for the experience! I am now sending it on to wandering, the next person in the book ring.

Journal Entry 10 by wandering from Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Friday, July 02, 2004
Arrived safe and sound today! Thanks ermintrude for sharing this book and Anfield for sending it to me.

I will read it a.s.a.p.

Journal Entry 11 by wandering from Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Tuesday, July 27, 2004
Lovely book! It was easy to read, the subject is quite original. Every time you wonder how Pi is going to survive another drama in his journey, but you know he will. This story did not make me believe in God, but did make me see what strength a human being has if he wants to survive. I'm sure I wouldn't have lasted that long at sea, let alone with a Bengal tiger!

Back across the sea this book will go - I hope it won't take as long as it took Pi to cross the Pacific! ;o)

Journal Entry 12 by rainbow3 from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 23, 2004
Received from Wandering in the Netherlands as part of a book ring. Yahoo, how exciting! Cute Woof! postcard, thanks a bundle. Looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 13 by rainbow3 from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 30, 2004
Just finished Life of PI and well... oh dear, the wonder of it passed me by almost entirely. The writing was enchanting and I better enjoyed the early part of the book despite the fact it dragged for me. Read it in fits and starts over many weeks as I was not utterly engaged by it. For me it was very tense throughout, like waiting to see how big a bubblegum balloon could get before it burst, agonising. It was certainly inventive, shocking and bloody, very, very bloody. Uplifting in the fact both Pi and Robert Parker survived I suppose, but that some people say this book proves the existence of God? What?*!*? I really felt that as I had asked to join the ring I should give it a fair reading so complete it. Now I am relieved to have it off my guilt list at long last so I can pass it on. Though I also feel frustrated and angry that I seem to have missed the magic others found profound. I did not seem to be in the mood for this at all.

Journal Entry 14 by MickeyLove from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 07, 2004
Received from rainbow3, all the way from sunny Scotland! Thanks love. Awaiting a nice read...

Journal Entry 15 by MickeyLove from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 28, 2005
Well, I finally got round to reading the Life of Pi, and quite amusingly I read it whilst on holiday in ATHENS! So the book has returned to its purchase destination. Luckily the book did not get stolen when we were mugged in Athens and survived two flights on Easyjet too.

My Easyjet flight is nothing compared to the journey of Pi, our books hero. This book is fabulous. The first 10 chapters or so I found a bit difficult to get in to, but slowly it captured me and drew me in. In the end I couldn't put the book down!!! (I was dragged off the hotel balcony one morning as I got so engrossed in the story). I found the story hilarious in parts, the wit is great. It also holds many lessons and made me think about the world in general. Really thought provoking. Thoroughly recommend it!

Now, I must ask ermintrude75 where to send next,

and thank rainbow3 for sending me the book once more.

Journal Entry 16 by MickeyLove from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, October 09, 2005
jenvince
and
rhythmbiscuit

have already read Life of Pi, so finding another reader as we speak! :)

Journal Entry 17 by novasoy from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, October 23, 2005
Received Friday from the sun-kissed shores of the UK.

Journal Entry 18 by novasoy from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Friday, October 28, 2005
Finished today. Will send to nut ASAP.

What a really good book. Not what I expected. For some reason, I expected... well, I don't want to spoil anything.

Journal Entry 19 by novasoy from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, October 31, 2005
Mailed this afternoon to nut in beautiful Ireland.

Journal Entry 20 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Thursday, November 17, 2005
Arrived last week. I'm a few pages into it and enjoying it already.
Thanks!

Journal Entry 21 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Monday, November 21, 2005
Wonderful book! (I seem to be saying that a lot recently, I'm finding lots of great books via rings). Great imagery. Apparently there's lots of symbolism, but I never get that sort of thing. Perfectly enjoyable without it though.
I prefer the cover on the book to the one in the picture.

***SPOILER***

I really didn't expect it to end up as fight club.

I probably won't get it into the post until the weekend.

Edit: Went into post on 23/11/05

Journal Entry 22 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Returned safely from its travels - thanks to everyone for participating! Probably to be wild released soon.