The Rapture of Canaan

by Sheri Reynolds | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BigJohnLefty of Des Moines, Iowa USA on 4/28/2004
Journal Entry 1 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Wednesday, April 28, 2004
From the back cover: "At the Church of Fire and Brimstone and God's Almighty Baptizing Wind, Grandpa Herman makes the rules for everyone, and everyone obeys, or else. But even in this isolated community where it seems nearly everything is forbidden, temptation occasionally touches the congregation... and for Ninah, temptation comes in the form of her prayer partner, James. Ninah is determined not to sin with James - so determined that she's willing to fill her shoes with shells to keep her mind on Jesus' pain. Nevertheless, she soon finds herself pregnant. She fears the wrath of Grandpa Herman, the church members, and God Himself. But the events that follow show Ninah that God's ways are more mysterious than even Grandpa Herman can understand..."

Journal Entry 2 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Thursday, September 12, 2013
I'm assuming this was an Oprah book club selection, and had gotten it from my ex-wife Deb; anyway it was one of those books that had been registered so long ago I don't remember, and I've been trying to go through and clear those out....

I enjoyed the book, even though parts of it really spooked me, even creeped me out, but throughout most of it, I found myself having trouble putting it down.
I do think it was pretty good at displaying the hypocrisy of many of grandpa's beliefs (which he pretty much made up as he went along anyway).
The author was pretty skilled at writing from the perspective of the main character, a teen-aged girl.

will release soon.....

Journal Entry 3 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/14/2013 UTC) at Des Moines, Iowa USA

Am giving this one away.... Hope this finds a good home!

Journal Entry 4 by lisabb2 at Grimes, Iowa USA on Sunday, September 29, 2013
Got this from BigJohnLefty a couple of weeks ago and forgot to journal it. Will read soon.