corner corner Running in the Family

Running in the Family
by Michael Ondaatje | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingAylaMeywing of Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on 7/22/2017

status (set by AylaMey): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingAylaMeywing from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, July 22, 2017

'During certain hours, at certain years in our lives, we see ourselves as remnants from the earlier generations that were destroyed...I think all of our lives have been terribly shaped by what went on before us.' Twenty-five years after leaving his native Sri Lanka for the cool winters of Ontario, a chaotic dream of tropical heat and barking dogs pushes Michael Ondaatje to travel back home and revisit a childhood and a family he never fully understood. Along with his siblings and children, Ondaatje gathers rumours, anecdotes, poems, records and memories to piece together this fragmented portrayal of his family's past, his father's destructive alcoholism and the colourful stories and secrets of ancestors both disgraced and adored throughout centuries of Sri Lankan society. In an exotic, evocative portrait of the heat, wildlife, sounds and silences of the Sri Lankan landscape, Ondaatje combines vivid recreations of a privileged, eccentric older generation with a deeply personal reconciliatory journey in which he explores his own ghosts, and how his family's extraordinary history continues to influence his life.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAylaMeywing at Daalsebieb in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, July 31, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (7/31/2017 UTC) at Daalsebieb in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Hi there!

You have found my book. Thank you for visiting this website. Here you can anonymously report your finding so that I know that the book has fallen into safe hands.

You can read the book, pass it on or leave it behind for someone else to find it. It's up to you. If you want, you can sign up (free!) so you can follow the journey of this book when other people find and journal it.

Happy reading!