When God Was a Rabbit

by Sarah Winman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingyorkshire-lasswing of Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on 7/19/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingyorkshire-lasswing from Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 19, 2017
Thank you for picking up this book and logging on to the website, I hope you enjoy reading it, when you have finished it please make a journal entry so that I know what you have decided to do with the book next. If you decide to join BookCrossing (it’s free and completely private your e-mail address is never given out) please say yorkshire-lass sent you. Happy BookCrossing!

Amazon Editorial Review

Sarah Winman's bestselling, critically-acclaimed debut novel WHEN GOD WAS A RABBIT continues to captivate and enchant readers. 1968. The year Paris takes to the streets. The year Martin Luther King loses his life for a dream. The year Eleanor Maud Portman is born. Young Elly's world is shaped by those who inhabit it: her loving but maddeningly distractible parents; a best friend who smells of chips and knows exotic words like 'slag'; an ageing fop who tapdances his way into her home, a Shirley Bassey impersonator who trails close behind; lastly, of course, a rabbit called God. In a childhood peppered with moments both ordinary and extraordinary, Elly's one constant is her brother Joe. Twenty years on, Elly and Joe are fully grown and as close as they ever were. Until, that is, one bright morning when a single, earth-shattering event threatens to destroy their bond forever. Spanning four decades and moving between suburban Essex, the wild coast of Cornwall and the streets of New York, this is a story about childhood, eccentricity, the darker side of love and sex, the pull and power of family ties, loss and life. More than anything, it's a story about love in all its forms.

Journal Entry 2 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, September 18, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/21/2017 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

This is going into the Animal Kingdom bookring.

Journal Entry 3 by PrincessRainbow at Zirl, Tirol Austria on Wednesday, October 18, 2017
I take it out of the "Animal Kingdom"-bookring.

Journal Entry 4 by PrincessRainbow at Zirl, Tirol Austria on Sunday, October 29, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (10/28/2017 UTC) at Zirl, Tirol Austria

The book is per Hermes on the way to chrissini (Austria) who has it on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 5 by wingchrissiniwing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Thursday, November 02, 2017
Thank you so much for this RABCK, PrincessRainbow - you made me very happy :))

Journal Entry 6 by wingchrissiniwing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Saturday, October 20, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (10/17/2018 UTC) at Graz, Steiermark Austria

On the way to Sweden as a surprise bonus book for Femke85.

Journal Entry 7 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Wednesday, November 14, 2018
Chrissini, Thank you so much for all the books! They are a great surprise!

They parcel arrived on the day that we were leaving on holidays. I couldn’t pick it up, because the parcel document said that the earliest pick up time was 16.00 and we had to be at the airport before that. They hold on to packages for 2 weeks and we were away for 13 days.

So the day after I got back, I had a cranky toddler and a moody baby, both a bit out of their rythm. I knew there was a package or letter waiting for me at the post office, but with those two little ones, leaving the house felt like running a marathon in the snow, while wearing high heels and listening to the sound of crying toddlers on repeat. Uuurgh. Also the post never clarifies what exactly one needs to pick up. It could be a parcel. It could be a letter saying there was a mistake in your tax declaration and now you owe the government 50.000$ and a kidney.

You can imagine my happiness when I gave the post note to the postal office clerck and she came back with a huge box from amazon (first thought: oooh did I order something and forgot about it? Second thought: maybe amazon is thanking me for my multiple impulse purchases and they send me a gift. Third thought: it must be books, I love getting surprise books!). I opened it at home and was so happy to find 4 lovely books, a bunch of bookcrossing labels, 2 rolls of washi tape, a card and a keychain with a cat. it totally made my day and it also made my toddler happy, since he got to help with unwrapping the gifts.

Journal Entry 8 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Sunday, January 13, 2019
When I logged in to Goodreads to mark this book as “currently reading”, I noticed that it said I had already read this before. I thought it was a bit odd that I didn’t remember anything about the story. But now that I finished reading the book for the second time, it became clear why I forgot what happened. Even now, 5 minutes after finishing the book, it is difficult to recall exactly how the story goes.

It’s not that nothing happens throughout the book. It spans at least 20 years in the life of Elly and her (slightly extraordinary) family. Quite a lot happens to Elly, but the narrative is so fast and sometimes chaotic, making it hard to really absorb everything.

So I’m a bit in doubt about what I think about this book. On the one hand it’s beautifully written. Some sentences are just amazing. But on the other hand, it feels like something is lacking in the story. It feels like either too much happens or too little, or maybe it’s just that so few attention is given to all the things that happen that everything feels very inisignificant. Kind of like lots of storylines were mentioned, but none were really followed.

The characters are interesting, though. Elly as a child feels like such an old soul, it’s hard to imagine her as a 9 year old. Her sweet brother Joe, who became more like the main character towards the end of the story. The famous aunt Nancy. Some friends who felt like family, like Charlie and Jenny Penny. Overall it’s a story about love between these characters.

I’ll try to find a new home for this book soon. for now I’ll keep it as a possible candidate for a few VBB’s that will soon come my way.

Edit 27 jan: reserved for Wilena (wishlist tag or sweeps or RABCK, whatever comes first).

Journal Entry 9 by wingFemke85wing at 4 a R.A.B.C.K, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 01, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (2/1/2019 UTC) at 4 a R.A.B.C.K, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

I picked Wilena as the 3rd winner of the stamps sweeps. I didn’t have any stamps left to send to you, but I know there are lots of envelopes filled with stamps from other bookcrossers coming your way. In any case I wanted to send you this wishlist book and I tried to put many stamps on the packaging. I hope you enjoy the book and congratz on winning the sweeps!

Journal Entry 10 by wingWilenawing at Entraigues, Auvergne France on Friday, February 08, 2019
Thanks a lot Femke for this book from my wish list, the nice old postcard (I love it) and the so many nice stamps on the mail !!!!

Many thanks ! :-)

Journal Entry 11 by wingWilenawing at Trevignano, Veneto Italy on Friday, April 19, 2019
I Just finished it. I will make a longer Je later.

Journal Entry 12 by wingWilenawing at Falzè - La Vigna di Carlo in Trevignano, Veneto Italy on Friday, April 19, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (4/19/2019 UTC) at Falzè - La Vigna di Carlo in Trevignano, Veneto Italy

I release it in the guest house for the next one. Enjoy this reading and let us know what you think about it.