The Museum of Extraordinary Things: A Novel

by Alice Hoffman | Audiobooks |
ISBN: 144236761X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 7/16/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, July 16, 2017
I bought this at Miami's library book sale, but when I listened to this I found that disk 6 is missing (out of 10). The packaging is very good so it's unlikely that the disk has slipped out, and I searched around to no avail, so I think it was probably not there when I bought it.

Normally I wouldn't register and share an incomplete book, but after listening to the whole volume, I really enjoyed the story, and I don't think the missing CD has hurt much at all, as the store is still in its slow-moving, building-up stage at that point, so I think it was just some background story that won't affect your understanding of the overall plot.

Hoffman adds a magical touch to this lovely story, of a mermaid girl and a young photographer, in this tale set in 1911. She has woven historic events such as the fires at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in Greenwich Village and the Dreamland amusement park in Coney Island. It is difficult to imagine Manhattan as a wild land, but Hoffman does an amazing job spinning an enchanting tale that is both realistic and mystical and keeps me spellbounded.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, June 30, 2018
This is now going to imawinn2, so she can read the missing part of the story.

Journal Entry 3 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, July 12, 2018
Audiobook and hardcover book arrived. Thanks for sending both. I like Alice Hoffman's writing so I am looking forward to listening/reading this tale.